Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Ruger Mark I question??

A friend asked me to clean her Ruger Mark I and check it out. So I broke it down cleaned it and reassembled. I was getting at least one failure to feed or a failure to eject on just about every magazine. When it did shoot it was perfectly accurate. She only has the one magazine. I am thinking either the mag or mag spring is bad or something is wrong with the extractor. Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this problem and return this fine pistol to her with 100% reliability??

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Ruger Mark I question??

You can try playing with the feed lips on the mag, and make sure that the follower moves freely. As for the extraction did you remove the extractor from the bolt and check for wear or a peened over surface on the hook of the extractor ? The early MK's used to run a long time between cleanings.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Montgomery County)

I have two Mk 1s from the early days (both over 50 years old) and they are finicky with mags. In the early MkI only a 9 round mag fits and it is reversed from the later versions in terms of the spring side/button side. Midway were selling original Ruger Mk 1 mags a month or so ago and I picked up a couple. I still have to reverse the button but that is a 60 second job. I suggest that she tries to get some of these rather than mess with feed lips. Dave_n

(Clarion County)

This link helped me out when I was playing around with one:
    http://guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Perhaps try a different ammo. In my experience rimfire pistols are sometimes picky about ammo. 22LR is so mass produced that sometimes the quality control and consistency is lacking.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the suggestions. Tore the bolt apart and the extractor spring plunger ect. was very dirty so that is clean. Also removed firing pin and found out that there was no firing pin rebound spring guide, so there was no spring tension on the firing pin. Going to order that part and then reassemble. I do think this might do the trick, but I am also going to get a new magazine for this pistol. That way I can at least compare the two and see if the original magazine is also an issue. I should have mentioned that I had three different types of ammo when shooting. But I will also get some higher velocity ammo once I get the firing pin part delivered. Thanks for all your help. Much Obliged.

(Bucks County)

I've had a Mark I circa 1955 since new. When new, I used to shoot it at an outdoor range. In cold weather, the lube on the bullets would cause feed problems. I eventually found the sweet spot on the magazine ears. Never had a problem again with any brand ammo.

Take a look at the chamber and see if it's been peened from dry firing. If so, carefully remove the part that extends into the chamber.

22LR is so mass produced that sometimes the quality control and consistency is lacking
    I was shooting indoor range two nights ago using .22 "Golden bullets" in a Heritage Rough Rider. I could here the occasional change in report, like less propellant.
    Last edited by Bang; January 27th, 2018 at 04:52 PM.