Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default Thinking of getting A type 7 FFL license. Pros and Cons of doing such.

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a type 7 ffl license, My Cousin and I kicked around the idea for years and he passed away last March and I have really been think of doing this and reading up on the process. I just want to do internet sales, some transfers and assemble Ar-15's and such on a part time schedule. Does anyone here have this type of ffl , Pros and cons of having it and anything I should know before going down this road that you learned from doing so. Any information would be helpful. Thanks again!

(Washington County)

Default Re: Thinking of getting A type 7 FFL license. Pros and Cons of doing such.

Quote Originally Posted by jasons85gt View Post
    Hello,

I am thinking of getting a type 7 ffl license, My Cousin and I kicked around the idea for years and he passed away last March and I have really been think of doing this and reading up on the process. I just want to do internet sales, some transfers and assemble Ar-15's and such on a part time schedule. Does anyone here have this type of ffl , Pros and cons of having it and anything I should know before going down this road that you learned from doing so. Any information would be helpful. Thanks again!
    Start with a FFL 01 which only has a miminal cost per year instead of jumping to a FFL 07 with fees starting at $2,300 per year (ITAR and ATF), not counting insurance. That's not including your NFA tax (SOT) if you decide to add that to either type of FFL. You won't be able to manufacture (assemble AR's) with a 01 FFL but the yearly cost is MUCH easier to recoup then a 07 FFL.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Default Re: Thinking of getting A type 7 FFL license. Pros and Cons of doing such.

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Start with a FFL 01 which only has a miminal cost per year instead of jumping to a FFL 07 with fees starting at $2,300 per year (ITAR and ATF), not counting insurance. That's not including your NFA tax (SOT) if you decide to add that to either type of FFL. You won't be able to manufacture (assemble AR's) with a 01 FFL but the yearly cost is MUCH easier to recoup then a 07 FFL.
    OP would have to sell a whole lot of assembled AR kits to recover that kind of money. Sounds to me like it wouldn't be limited to part time work.

(Monroe County)

With an 01 you can't make an kit AR for someone, but you can sell them the receiver and parts. Then they can bring it back for you to work on as 01 gunsmith.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff