Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg

Any interesting things to do in the area? I might bring the family along but it takes more than guns and the great outdoors to entice them. Where would you stay for decent nightlife, as in dining and shopping.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Any interesting things to do in the area? I might bring the family along but it takes more than guns and the great outdoors to entice them. Where would you stay for decent nightlife, as in dining and shopping.
    There is a LOT of variety in the show, and I do not know of anything that would cover the amount of time you would spend at the show, that might be a good alternative. It would take a tour of all the local shopping at minimum, which might actually cost more than admission to the show. As for places to eat, I like Ted's for wings, which has been their specialty. They are on old 22 a bit East of Harrisburg these days. I am sure more input will come along on that.

If you spend a bit of time on Pennlive.com you can find some interesting food and restaurant reviews. Also spend time on the event website to see all that is going on, you might find something that the kids & spouse will like. Good luck.

PS: If you don't arrive early plan on a long line for parking. A couple of years ago, when we went, It took 90 minutes to drive to HBG and another 90 minutes once we got off the interstate to get parked, and that was with a minor shortcut I was able to make use of. (maybe 10 minutes saved)
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    There is a LOT of variety in the show, and I do not know of anything that would cover the amount of time you would spend at the show, that might be a good alternative. It would take a tour of all the local shopping at minimum, which might actually cost more than admission to the show. As for places to eat, I like Ted's for wings, which has been their specialty. They are on old 22 a bit East of Harrisburg these days. I am sure more input will come along on that.

If you spend a bit of time on Pennlive.com you can find some interesting food and restaurant reviews. Also spend time on the event website to see all that is going on, you might find something that the kids & spouse will like. Good luck.

PS: If you don't arrive early plan on a long line for parking. A couple of years ago, when we went, It took 90 minutes to drive to HBG and another 90 minutes once we got off the interstate to get parked, and that was with a minor shortcut I was able to make use of. (maybe 10 minutes saved)
    You can save hassle by parking at the mall of 83 where bass pro is. They run a shuttle from bass pro to the show every half hour or so.

(Lycoming County)

If the family wants to shop they can take a detour twards Hershey. There's tons of outlet stores there and the chocolate world tour is open this time of year. That kills a couple hours for kiddos usually if they're not into the show. The show has tons of things to do other than guns. There's lots of family type events.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    You can save hassle by parking at the mall of 83 where bass pro is. They run a shuttle from bass pro to the show every half hour or so.
    Is bass pro definitely doing that again this year?

Four main options for parking -

1) At the Farm Show - $10
    2) At the Elmerton Ave lot (shuttle service) - $10
    3) At Harrisburg Mall behind Bass Pro (bus service) - free
    4) At HACC - weekends only (shuttle service) - $10

We use the bus service from the Harrisburg Mall most of the time. We went on the last day of the show last year and the line for the bus at 9a inside the mall went down past center court. If you can snag a space at the Elmerton Ave lot, you're better off. You can get there coming from the Progress Ave exit instead of from Cameron St where you'll sit in traffic getting off of 81.

https://www.greatamericanoutdoorshow.org/plan-your-trip/parking-shuttles/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12