Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Springfield 1873 Trapdoor Carbine

Hi Everyone,

My neighbor just gave me this this old Springfield. He's wheelchair bound and I fixed his elevator a week ago after the lift company said it was toast and he surprised me with it today. He wouldn't take no for an answer. It's beat, but I am excited to own a real piece of American history. He told me he shot it about 40 years ago and that was all he's done to it. He hasn't even cleaned it since then. As you can tell in the pictures, it's got quite a bit of surface rust, is missing the front sight, has paint specks on the stock, and has a crack in the forearm. Mechanically, it seems sound and the barrel still has good rifling. Does anyone know much about these? I would like to at least clean the rust off and I'm assuming I can't hurt the value at this point considering it probably doesn't have much. Also, does anyone know what the 38 above the butt plate means? Anyways, here's my newest piece of American history. If my wife lets me, it's going over our wood stove

IMAG0106_zpsxzc0l8ba.jpg

IMAG0105_zps6jicibti.jpg

IMAG0104_zpso3jq09sy.jpg

IMAG0103_zpsaufsn4x0.jpg

IMAG0109_zpstdix6tcj.jpg
    Last edited by PennStateCarry; January 24th, 2018 at 12:32 AM.
    Opera Non Verba

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Springfield 1873 Trapdoor Carbine Manufactured in 1876

IMAG0102_zpsulpobfji.jpg

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/...pslliiengt.jpg

I don't know why I couldn't get the one photo to upload. Apparently, it's an invalid file although all the others worked..?
    Last edited by PennStateCarry; January 23rd, 2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Opera Non Verba

(Allegheny County)

I'd be inclined to wipe it with some oil until the cloth wasn't super cruddy with rust and leave it that way - just to stop it from rusting further.
    It would look more "authentic" hanging on the wall.

Cool rifle. I don't know much of anything about them, but thanks for sharing!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennStateCarry View Post
    IMAG0102_zpsulpobfji.jpg

I don't know why I couldn't get the one photo to upload. Apparently, it's an invalid file although all the others worked..?
    You can only put five pictures in one posting if you loaded them directly to here. If you rub it down with bronze wool and oil, you can clean it up without damaging any underlying finish if it is there. EM brings up another possibility too.
    Last edited by gghbi; January 23rd, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

We have had awful good luck with Bronze wool and RIG. You will be amazed how much of the rust you see is Bloom and will come off leaving surface that did not rust. Years ago we used to use scrub buds from Amway and Rig. Cleaned up an old Marlin lever gun that we found in the hay loft when we bought our place. Rub the RIG(oil) on and give it a few minutes then wipe it off with the Bronze wool, followed by a rag.

The neat thing about RIG (rust inhibiting grease) is that it will stay for a long time.

If you get any offers do your homework before selling it. They have become VERY collectable and even in rough shape still bring good money.
    Last edited by phill; January 23rd, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennStateCarry View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My neighbor just gave me this this old Springfield. He's wheelchair bound and I fixed his elevator a week ago after the lift company said it was toast and he surprised me with it today. He wouldn't take no for an answer. It's beat, but I am excited to own a real piece of American history. He told me he shot it about 40 years ago and that was all he's done to it. He hasn't even cleaned it since then. As you can tell in the pictures, it's got quite a bit of surface rust, is missing the front sight, has paint specks on the stock, and has a crack in the forearm. Mechanically, it seems sound and the barrel still has good rifling. Does anyone know much about these? I would like to at least clean the rust off and I'm assuming I can't hurt the value at this point considering it probably doesn't have much. Also, does anyone know what the 38 above the butt plate means? Anyways, here's my newest piece of American history. If my wife lets me, it's going over our wood stove

IMAG0106_zpsxzc0l8ba.jpg

IMAG0105_zps6jicibti.jpg

IMAG0104_zpso3jq09sy.jpg

IMAG0103_zpsaufsn4x0.jpg

IMAG0109_zpstdix6tcj.jpg
    The 38 is a rack number used at the armoury where it was stored .
    Nice piece , it's worth more restored , and please keep it away from that stove !
    DAN

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    We have had awful good luck with Bronze wool and RIG. You will be amazed how much of the rust you see is Bloom and will come off leaving surface that did not rust. Years ago we used to use scrub buds from Amway and Rig. Cleaned up an old Marlin lever gun that we found in the hay loft when we bought our place. Rub the RIG(oil) on and give it a few minutes then wipe it off with the Bronze wool, followed by a rag.

The neat thing about RIG (rust inhibiting grease) is that it will stay for a long time.

If you get any offers do your homework before selling it. They have become VERY collectable and even in rough shape still bring good money.

Ditto on the bold piece. I've been watching these at auctions lately and even in rough condition they always go for something north of $500. Granted, auctions aren't the best gauge of value as bidders tend to run the price up but they give you an idea of the going rate. I would take measures to stop any further rust but I would not strip this down to bare steel. The only thing I would do is try to find a well worn (preferably authentic) stock. If you do this hang onto the original stock.

As far as homework, there are a lot of early century replicas out there making authentication challenging. There are a lot of websites available regarding Trapdoors. Google is your friend but here is one that I like to use. http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/

(Bucks County)

That looks like a pretty early issue, south of 1884 anyway. It appears to have been upgraded with installation of the Buffington sight, which came out in 1884. Can you make out any other markings on the stock, such as a cartouche?

(York County)

Most other folks have already covered the important points so I won't repeat them.

I'll just add there are original stocks out there if the wood on that one proves to be too far gone to repair.

Replacing the front sight won't be too hard. Original parts are stocked as a regular item by some antique dealers of American arms.

The Antique Arms show in Timonium MD has dealers who specialize in American guns of this type. There is family in York, PA (Knisley's) who stock parts in large quantities. Also S & S of New York has a website and once you're on their mailing list you'll get monthly updates of parts they add.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the info! I don't see any other markings on the stock, but it's in pretty rough condition. I don't plan on selling it in any case, it will definitely be something staying in the collection. The idea of restoration sounds intriguing
    Opera Non Verba

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast