Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Insulated Rubber Boots For Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    First anything with a waterproof membrane won't be waterproof for more then a couple years. Gore-tex is a hoax. An expensive hoax at that. I've tried all types and they were all expensive failures. Rubber boots don't breath. So there's the issue. A nice pair of leather boots are comfortable and good for walking, but that's it.

I have gravitated toward Muck boots. As long as I'm not rock climbing or busting ass all day they seem be a decent compromise. The moisture wicks to an extent, and they're waterproof. They're warm, reasonably affordable and although you may only get 3-4 years out of them I feel better about tossing a $120 pair of boots over a $300++ pair.
    I hunt far more then your average hunter, and my current pair just came out of their 4th season and still look good. Briers will eat them up quick without suitable clothing to protect them.

That's my 2 cents.

I have three pairs of Muck boots. One pair is insulated and very warm. The best for warmth and keeping your feet dry.

(Elk County)

IMHO there is not 'right' answer. Where I live in Pennsylvania I have hunted during deer season when it has been 50 and -5. Activity is import. Walking or sitting. Location you are hunting, swampy or upland? Your circulation, good or bad. I have multiple boots ranging from leather/cloth to full rubber ranging from 200gr. to 1400gr. One pair will not cover the entire range of temperatures and types of hunting. A good boot dryer is highly recommended. Only recommendation I could give is to purchase a range of boots to cover all temps, situations and terrain. Dont go cheap. Make sure they fit. Try them on wearing the type and thickness of the socks you will wear with that particular boot.

(Chester County)

In my experience, the boot of choice of ski lift attendants in Vermont that spend hours standing on snow is Sorel Caribos. They are not the most mobile of boots but are hard to beat for warmth. Still have a pair from the 80s and replaced the thick felt liners a few years ago. Think I paid around 80 bucks for the boots back then but now see them for 120+. Great if you're in a stand but maybe not if you want to be doing a lot of walking. Treat the upper leather with Lexol and they will last a lifetime.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123