Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Insulated Rubber Boots For Hunting

GI Mickey Mouse boots are as warm as you could need, no extra socks needed. But if it's not cold your feet might sweat.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Yeah I get you but quite clunky.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Yeah I get you but quite clunky.
    That is undeniable but man, you should try a pair. They run really large though so look for a pair a size or so smaller than your regular fit. i e I wear 10 1/2-11 but a size 9 in the Mickey Mouses.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

First anything with a waterproof membrane won't be waterproof for more then a couple years. Gore-tex is a hoax. An expensive hoax at that. I've tried all types and they were all expensive failures. Rubber boots don't breath. So there's the issue. A nice pair of leather boots are comfortable and good for walking, but that's it.

I have gravitated toward Muck boots. As long as I'm not rock climbing or busting ass all day they seem be a decent compromise. The moisture wicks to an extent, and they're waterproof. They're warm, reasonably affordable and although you may only get 3-4 years out of them I feel better about tossing a $120 pair of boots over a $300++ pair.
    I hunt far more then your average hunter, and my current pair just came out of their 4th season and still look good. Briers will eat them up quick without suitable clothing to protect them.

That's my 2 cents.

(Berks County)

Yeah, the boots I’m looking at are at Sportsmens guide I’ve always had good luck with them they are basically like Muck boots. Just need to decide size 10 or 11 and 800 or 1600 g

(Allegheny County)

Everyone has their own idea of what they want/need and it does depend on the type of use.

I have been most happy with the style that has the full rubber bottom with a leather upper.
    The rubber is obviously waterproof and since I need to walk in slop and slush, this is the best way to combat water - not to mention the damage salt does to leather/fabric.
    The drawback is that the rubber gets cold and if you aren't moving, the toes get cold. Sweat can be a factor, but I haven't found it such that I'd rather have boots that allow water in.

I don't even know if there's a name for this style of boot...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Everyone has their own idea of what they want/need and it does depend on the type of use.

I have been most happy with the style that has the full rubber bottom with a leather upper.
    The rubber is obviously waterproof and since I need to walk in slop and slush, this is the best way to combat water - not to mention the damage salt does to leather/fabric.
    The drawback is that the rubber gets cold and if you aren't moving, the toes get cold. Sweat can be a factor, but I haven't found it such that I'd rather have boots that allow water in.

I have a pair very similar to those that I got for $29 on Amazon 2 years ago, and have always referred to them as duck boots. I think they were called that when i bought them, but my memory sucks so I could be wrong. For my use, shoveling snow and walking trails in the wet they're perfect. I have boots that I spent over $150. for that don't do as good a job.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Duck boots were my previous go to boot if there not deep snow or deep water. Good all purpose boot. As are pack boots.

(Lancaster County)

Last season I wore a pair of boots similar to posted above, and it only took one plunge through ice to convince me of the merits of muck boots.

Wore my lacrosse boots this season and never had a wet sock.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Berks County)

yeah, I have fabric/rubber in 1200 gram that are waterproof but not high so that is why I want a pair of mucks in order to be better when it is muddy/wet/sloshy.

I'm leaning toward 800 gram in a 10 and if I need a bigger one, return them for $5 or so and get the next size up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast