Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Storage Facility Question (law)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    In my New Jersey travels, i have heard more than one New Jersey resident say they have firearms in a storage area in Pennsylvania.
    And Governor Murphy think the firearms are all coming into his state. ;-)
    So what you're telling us is we need to start attending storage auctions in the border counties?

One thing they never mention on the storage unit reality shows... If you "won" a bid on a storage unit and it was discovered to contain hazardous material, a meth lab, explosives, etc... YOU would be responsible for any haz mat or other emergency response. Sure, you could probably keep the small stuff under wraps with a few quick trips to a dumpster (provided you aren't caught) but I would imagine a rental facility manager would be pretty quick to dial 911 if they had any suspicion of a leak or other dangerous material.

As a side note, all the storage facilities I've been to over the years keep their dumpsters locked. This is so they can charge a fee and so they can monitor what gets put in the refuse container. Once items like tires go in the dumpster they can get fined for improper disposal and thei happens frequently.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    One thing they never mention on the storage unit reality shows... If you "won" a bid on a storage unit and it was discovered to contain hazardous material, a meth lab, explosives, etc... YOU would be responsible for any haz mat or other emergency response. Sure, you could probably keep the small stuff under wraps with a few quick trips to a dumpster (provided you aren't caught) but I would imagine a rental facility manager would be pretty quick to dial 911 if they had any suspicion of a leak or other dangerous material.

As a side note, all the storage facilities I've been to over the years keep their dumpsters locked. This is so they can charge a fee and so they can monitor what gets put in the refuse container. Once items like tires go in the dumpster they can get fined for improper disposal and thei happens frequently.
    ...........none of which has anything to do with the question asked (:

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

Speaking of dumpsters, do you know who's on the hook if the winner of an auction leaves the dregs behind? Does the storage facility penalize the buyer, or just chuck it all? Can I take the guns and leave the mattresses?

(Philadelphia County)

I would definitely leave the mattresses.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Speaking of dumpsters, do you know who's on the hook if the winner of an auction leaves the dregs behind? Does the storage facility penalize the buyer, or just chuck it all? Can I take the guns and leave the mattresses?
    If there's one thing that I learnt from Storage Wars, in every locker full of crap, there's something incredibly valuable and rare that requires the assistance of an expert.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If there's one thing that I learnt from Storage Wars, in every locker full of crap, there's something incredibly valuable and rare that requires the assistance of an expert.
    Yuuuuuuup!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I would definitely leave the mattresses.
    ...and the thousands of bed bugs looking for a new home...

I know a Lady who buys lockers. She has won lockers with long guns. Pistols have never been mentioned to me. She sell the other items at a retail location. I asked her about guns and she said they keep them for hunting. I told her if you get anything that's not for hunting, give me a call. I am still waiting for that call.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

I'm not going to address a hypothetical state, but in Pennsylvania, it's not illegal to RECEIVE a handgun without using an FFL, unless (a) you conspire with the buyer to do it that way, or (b) it's stolen or altered in violation of statute or is otherwise contraband, or (c) it came from out of state. The transferor commits a crime with an unlawful transfer, the recipient doesn't directly do so. In the case of a storage locker, the transferor is unwitting.

Rifles don't have to go through an FFL if the private source is in PA.

I wouldn't want to be found with a stolen gun that I couldn't properly trace back to someone else. On the other hand, the same could happen with a stolen TV that ended up in a storage locker, or anything with a serial number that was reported stolen.

I wouldn't want to be in possession of a gun that came from out of state, since it's illegal for me to privately import a gun.

Those "reality" shows about storage lockers are complete scams. It's literally insane to bet $3,000 on a bunch of boxes that likely contain anything except what's on the box labels; but on those shows (last time I watched one) they always found jars full of gold coins, or boxes of brand-new high-end electronics. Seriously, who stores a Mason jar full of gold in a storage locker? Just how cramped must your home be before you don't have room for a Mason jar? It didn't take too many shows for me to figure out that the shows are puff pieces designed to get idiots to show up at auctions and blow their life savings on old mattresses and cribs and copies of Reader's Digest. And they need a constant fresh supply of idiots, because even idiots won't do that twice.

You can survive spending $50 each on 10 lots, because the odds are that you'll find more than $500 worth of stuff to sell at flea markets or eBay. But unless you see a Cutts Compensator sticking up out of a box, I wouldn't gamble on any guns being in your typical storage bin. It's stuff that is halfway to being thrown away.

The only exception is people stationed overseas who put all their stuff into storage, then die. I wouldn't feel so great about profiting from that.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast