Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Any "firearms custodian" businesses in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Ok, strange hypothetical legal question, coming out of my strange head:

NJ gun owner, in "registered" possession of newly banned items, receives notification that the grace period for turning in the items has expired, and there is now a warrant out for possessing these items in NJ. Before NJ can get the Gestapo to the same location as our subject he transports all of his NJ contraband to a PA storage unit - he still owns them, but they are no longer possessed "in NJ".

Can NJ still arrest him Rephrase: Does NJ still have a valid charge against him for having possessed the items in NJ after the grace period (good luck proving it)? Secondly, if they *do* have a valid charge, can they confiscate the items that are illegal in NJ - that are no longer *in* NJ - simply because they *were* in NJ after the grace period, given that the issue is that they were possessed "in NJ"?

I know they *can* do anything they want. Do they have a legal basis for it to stick?

Not even asking for a friend - just curious.
    Boating accident... All the firearms were lost

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Boating accident... All the firearms were lost
    That may be fun to say on the internet, but when you have the state police at your door and your kids are standing by watching in horror, you might need more than that to cover your ass legally.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Lehigh County)

I read in the paper about this place: https://www.gunsitters.com/easton.html

May want to peruse their web site. Would be interested in hearing what others think.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I'll take that one...

1) the only items "registered" in NJ are pistols. Long guns only use a 4473.
    2) said "registration" isn't even that... it's merely a permit to purchase. All it says at some point on the date on the permit, you bought something. It doesn't say you still OWN it. it's a permit to purchase, not a permit to possess.
    3) since magazines aren't registered, there's no way they can say "well you have Ultra Blaster 7000, and that can take a 17 round magazine" or some other bullshit. yea and if my mother-in-law had wheels she's be a snow blower. point is they have no idea and can't figure it out.
    4) the police will not go randomly door-to-door of all gun owners on record. they don't have the man power to do it nor do they actually care that much. They only care when there's a court order for a specific person, usually a domestic filing of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I read in the paper about this place: https://www.gunsitters.com/easton.html

May want to peruse their web site. Would be interested in hearing what others think.
    I skimmed their website. Their legal reach appears to exceed their grasp, although I admire their enthusiasm, and it would be great if such a service were provided in conformity with the laws of PA and NJ. There is a need for it.

For example, "Q: Can I store my firearms in a Self-Storage Facility?" They answered "no". Not exactly true. And by "not exactly true", I mean "false", at least under PA law and federal law.

I'd also be very careful about storing firearms with anyone due to a PFA being issued. PA's laws on that are very picky, and somewhat harsh. You need to fill out paperwork from the Sheriff, very quickly, for the storage to be legal.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Ok, strange hypothetical legal question, coming out of my strange head:

NJ gun owner, in "registered" possession of newly banned items, receives notification that the grace period for turning in the items has expired, and there is now a warrant out for possessing these items in NJ. Before NJ can get the Gestapo to the same location as our subject he transports all of his NJ contraband to a PA storage unit - he still owns them, but they are no longer possessed "in NJ".

Can NJ still arrest him Rephrase: Does NJ still have a valid charge against him for having possessed the items in NJ after the grace period (good luck proving it)? Secondly, if they *do* have a valid charge, can they confiscate the items that are illegal in NJ - that are no longer *in* NJ - simply because they *were* in NJ after the grace period, given that the issue is that they were possessed "in NJ"?

I know they *can* do anything they want. Do they have a legal basis for it to stick?

Not even asking for a friend - just curious.
    In theory, they could get a warrant and "extradite" the contraband back to NJ.

In practice, unless the gun owner was one of those morons who posted a YouTube video with a date stamp of him holding a banned gun in front of some notable NJ landmark, there's no real evidence to use to do this.oswald.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    That may be fun to say on the internet, but when you have the state police at your door and your kids are standing by watching in horror, you might need more than that to cover your ass legally.
    Personally if it were me and I was still living in New Jersey, I'd do the following:
    1.move my family to Pennsylvania, then there's no more issue.
    If that wasn't feasible then a few other options are available:
    2. If you have a GOOD friend in pa, transfer your firearms to him/her until you can either move, or hope that the nj/ ban doesn't take effect. A $35-40 cost at any pa ffl.
    3. Sell said firearms

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    In theory, they could get a warrant and "extradite" the contraband back to NJ.
    To what (legal) end?

So they can spend taxpayer money to store - and eventually destroy(?) - items that are only contraband *because* they're in NJ?

Yet one more reason I'm not crossing that river again. I'd sooner go into Philly...

To what (legal) end?

So they can spend taxpayer money to store - and eventually destroy(?) - items that are only contraband *because* they're in NJ?

Yet one more reason I'm not crossing that river again. I'd sooner go into Philly...
    I suppose the goal would be to deter others from retaining banned items, thinking that they could always spirit them away in time if the heat got to be too much.

What's the point of financially penalizing people who couldn't afford to buy health insurance? Or fining people for improving their homes without permits?

Years ago, I briefly fostered an abandoned raccoon. A neighbor decided to be an asshole and called the fish cops. By the time they arrived, I had already turned the raccoon over to a licensed vet. The fish cops showed up wearing mirrored shades and sporting arrogance that we thought had died with the Gestapo. They wanted to search my home (sadly, they were denied.)

The point of that story is that IF they had found a baby raccoon in the home, they would most likely have summarily killed it. Why? Not sure. Maybe in the spirit of "we had to kill the raccoon in order to save it." Maybe just because they could, and they were assholes who liked to kill baby animals. Who knows. But they could have legally done it, and that's the math you have to do in this society.

Since you need a FOID card and permit to buy a firearm in NJ , I assume they have a non-registry/registration/database of guns purchased in the state and the owners , they know who has what and just might come a-knockin.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast