Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Any "firearms custodian" businesses in PA?

I'm a NJ resident who has been/is looking to relocate to PA. I probably won't be able to find a property I want before the new NJ governor gets laws passed banning some of my guns and equipment. I have no intention of surrendering any of my stuff. Does anyone know if there are businesses in PA that act as "gun custodians" where I can store some of my stuff until I move to PA? In NJ there is at least one company that does this (gunsitters.com) but I haven't been able to find similar companies in PA. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Any "firearms custodian" businesses in PA?

5x5 storage space. seems to be the answer for a lot of people.

(Mercer County)

I have heard of people using a local gun shop to "clean" the weapon for an agreed upon amount of time and fee. By cleaning, do not need to transfer back using 4473, and you know gun is in secure / safe location

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    If you do that, use a good lock. Here's the one we use:

http://a.co/bbmPp6q

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Yeah I dont know what kind of cash the OP has.
    But If you went and got a safe, out it in the storage locker and then got a good lock like WCMG posted that would probably be really secure.
    He could also rent a storage space in one of those indoor facilities that has CCTV and better security.

Depending on the storage locker,. you may even find a way to secure the safe to the actual room.
    Some of those places have steel beans inside the storage room.
    Last edited by Ricochet; January 22nd, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Washington County)

The other option is to take your firearms into a gunsmith for "repair" and they will charge you a holding fee.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

If ya use a storage locker , make sure ya get climate controlled. Though some may have a no-guns/ammo clause on the rental contract.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

I'd go with the consensus here, use an indoor self-storage space, preferably one with real ceilings over each space. Put the guns in nondescript bags or boxes, so you aren't seen walking in with gun cases or ammo boxes.

I've been to at least one place where the security was acceptable, where you can't even park on site without a renter's badge or code, and there were cameras in the interior. Unless you're storing NFA miniguns, it wouldn't be worth a burglar's effort to break in to steal a few AR-15's or whatever.

I think one issue with a "custodian" business in your case would be the interstate transfers, and if you had any handguns, I don't see a way for you to get the guns back until you became a PA resident. Only an FFL can legally accept a transfer of guns from you across state lines, and they'd have to run a PICS check to give them back (unless it was a bona fide gunsmith transaction).
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

By the time they get around to confiscating your guns, you'll be long into PA.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    By the time they get around to confiscating your guns, you'll be long into PA.
    Ok, strange hypothetical legal question, coming out of my strange head:

NJ gun owner, in "registered" possession of newly banned items, receives notification that the grace period for turning in the items has expired, and there is now a warrant out for possessing these items in NJ. Before NJ can get the Gestapo to the same location as our subject he transports all of his NJ contraband to a PA storage unit - he still owns them, but they are no longer possessed "in NJ".

Can NJ still arrest him Rephrase: Does NJ still have a valid charge against him for having possessed the items in NJ after the grace period (good luck proving it)? Secondly, if they *do* have a valid charge, can they confiscate the items that are illegal in NJ - that are no longer *in* NJ - simply because they *were* in NJ after the grace period, given that the issue is that they were possessed "in NJ"?

I know they *can* do anything they want. Do they have a legal basis for it to stick?

Not even asking for a friend - just curious.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast