Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Re: Who carries a weapon light on their edc?

A WML is limited in situation, but not in use. The situation is going to be during a lethal force encounter, where the threat of serious bodily harm is imminent. Your handheld is going to be your go-to until that situation.

Now if that situation ever occurs... a WML becomes a multiplier to your effectiveness. As mentioned by Ricochet, your ability to use your support hand to deal with things such as doors, reloads, malfunctions, moving persons or objects out of the way, dialing 911 while covering the threat or area, etc are much simpler. You're now able to do all of that, while maintaining illumination on the threat. This isn't something that's easily done when you have to use your handheld in conjunction with a WML. There are workarounds, such as the Thyrm Switchback, but that still requires you to take the light off of the threat, or area where the threat may be.

I see a huge benefit in being able to maintain a two handed grip on my weapon. As proficient as I might get with my one-handed shooting, my cadence of fire will always be slower than my two-handed shooting. My first shot will be on target (it better be), but each successive shot will be at a slower pace. Two hands will offer a more stable platform, which will manage recoil better, which will allow faster accurate shots on target. This isn't easily done with a handheld flashlight, but it's much more easily done with a WML.

One downside is definitely added bulk. The TLR-1HL and X300U are two very popular lights, though the TLR-6 and XC1 are becoming popular due to their compact size. I would much prefer a TLR-1HL since I find more light to be more useful, but that's another topic for another debate.

(Montgomery County)

I do. Surefire XC1. Love it. I'm very intrigued by the new Streamlight TLR7 though.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Chester County)

The weapon mounted light wouldn’t be the only flashlight I’d have. I always carry some kind of flashlight on me when I’m off duty too, usually a streamlight stylus pro, sometimes a surefire g2x. During night qualifications this year I had to practice clearing jams and reloading my weapon. We have the option of carrying a weapon mounted light. The guys with the weapon mounted lights cleared jams and reloaded their pistols a lot faster. They also shot follow up shots quicker than people using their support hand to hold a flashlight. I plan on qualifying with a streamlight tlr 1 HL this year. I’m trying to decide if I want one for my off duty S&W M&P 9 2.0. Right now I’m leaning yes. The owb bravo concealment holster should make concealing/covering it pretty easy. I love my regular owb bravo concealment holster.
    Last edited by philadelphia patriot; January 22nd, 2018 at 11:05 PM.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

None of my carry guns have weaponlights. I have several 1000+ lumen flashlights that I am more likely to use than a pistol.

(York County)

My EDC (concealed) weapon - Shield .45 - has no light, nor do I typically carry one separately.

My first-line/bedside HD weapon - H&K 9mm - has a rail-mounted hi-intensity LED.
    DGAF

(Tioga County)

I don't have a light but I do have a CTC laser grip. I don't seem to go places where it is that dark. even at my advanced age I still have good night vision. Perhaps that is because I worked for years where the lighting was subdued.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Berks County)

Light screwed up my Glock 23. Jam city with it on. No probles with it off.

(Montgomery County)

No light on my gun.
    I do carry a small flashlight.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Problem is when you need to use your off hand for things.
    What if you need to open a door, grab a hold of something, or even clear a emergency jam?
    I much rather have a weapon mounted light and a free hand if there's a FTF or FTE.
    Those few seconds of putting the flashlight in your hand a way could cost a person their life.
    lanyard

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    lanyard
    Yeah I guess, but when using the flashlight and pistol together, you are still giving up a possibly needed hand while the light is in use.
    Last edited by Ricochet; January 23rd, 2018 at 09:51 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast