Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Who carries a weapon light on their edc?

G19 with a surefire X300. Its oversized, and as a result my OWB is less concealed than "halfass carry" as my friends and I refer to it as, because OWB with a G19 with an x300 is ever bit as bulky as a G17. I plan on purchasing a TLR7 soon to replace the x-300 specifically because of the bulk.

I've also been considering a transition to a gun without a light, and a light with the Thrym Switchback on my support side. I'm really liking that idea.
    https://thyrm.com/product/switchback...ashlight-ring/

(Lancaster County)

Bedside firearm has a wml on it, but also have a flashlight next to that.

Carry piece is a small PPSm2 so no wml. Tried a TLR6 on my 1911 and had it spit the battery out first range trip, so that has been removed.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Yeah I guess, but when using the flashlight and pistol together, you are still giving up a possibly needed hand while the light is in use.
    put flashlight in palm of hand lengthwise

wrap lanyard around back of hand

wrap lanyard around the bezel of the light (assuming lanyard is attached to tail)

then you still have the general use of a hand, while using a non-mounted light. So you can, for instance, shine your light at something without necessarily pointing a loaded firearm at them. or, from a utilitarian standpoint, you can use your flashlight everyday, without having to bust out your piece. I'm sure you would get a few funny looks if you would use the TLR-1 on your G19, to find the cell phone you just dropped under your seat at the movie theater.

I'm not saying a handheld light is better, because neither are. Just throwing some info out there for people to make their own decisions.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I'm sure you would get a few funny looks if you would use the TLR-1 on your G19, to find the cell phone you just dropped under your seat at the movie theater.
    Ive actually did that once when I dropped my credit card between the movie seat. Granted, there werent many people in the theater.

I'm not saying a handheld light is better, because neither are. Just throwing some info out there for people to make their own decisions.
    Yeah thats cool. The more knowledge the better.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Delaware County)

I carry a pocket flashlight - no light on my EDC. I don't go into places where its so dark I need a flashlight. The problem with a light on a EDC IMHO is two fold. First the availability of holsters. Second - which to me is a bigger issue could be that under a stressful situation you may find yourself pointing your loaded weapon at innocent bystanders who just happened to appear on the scene and that could result in a whole lot of legal trouble. Lawyers\Prosecutors are great at twisting the situation. So I figure if I don't have a light on my EDC - that will diminish the odds of that happening. As for home defense - that's a different story because you are most likely in my house and uninvited. In this case I keep both a light on my pistol and a flash light at the ready. Just my opinion.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolFan View Post
    I carry a pocket flashlight - no light on my EDC. I don't go into places where its so dark I need a flashlight. The problem with a light on a EDC IMHO is two fold. First the availability of holsters. Second - which to me is a bigger issue could be that under a stressful situation you may find yourself pointing your loaded weapon at innocent bystanders who just happened to appear on the scene and that could result in a whole lot of legal trouble. Lawyers\Prosecutors are great at twisting the situation. So I figure if I don't have a light on my EDC - that will diminish the odds of that happening. As for home defense - that's a different story because you are most likely in my house and uninvited. In this case I keep both a light on my pistol and a flash light at the ready. Just my opinion.
    My problem with the light is specific to home-defense.

Imagine a 'bump in the night' scenario. I've got tritium sights and my eyes are dark-acclimated since I'm asleep in a dark room.

I want to light up a high-power LED, ruin my night vision, and give my intruder a clear 'place to shoot at' why?

I hate to sound all tactical and such. But I'm thinking I'd rather stalk my intruder in the dark than give him a big "here I am!" light to shoot at.
    DGAF

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    My problem with the light is specific to home-defense.

Imagine a 'bump in the night' scenario. I've got tritium sights and my eyes are dark-acclimated since I'm asleep in a dark room.

I want to light up a high-power LED, ruin my night vision, and give my intruder a clear 'place to shoot at' why?

I hate to sound all tactical and such. But I'm thinking I'd rather stalk my intruder in the dark than give him a big "here I am!" light to shoot at.
    Not all hand held flashlights are 1000+ lumens.

And I don't know if you have ever learned how to properly clear a house with a light, but you don't walk around with neither a weapon mounted nor hand held light on.

(Bucks County)

It is recommended that, to prevent blinding self in home interiors, a low-level light is best. Sounds like an optional intensity selector is needed, since one could wind up outside.

any decent modern flashlight will have an ultra low "firefly" or "moonlight" mode under 10 lumens, sometimes sub lumen, so that your eyes can adjust before getting into the upper range.

(Montgomery County)

I'm surprised by the opinions expressed here.

1- Having a light on your weapon does NOT take the place of a handheld light, which EVERYONE should carry for tactical AND non-tactical situations.

2- Utilizing a weaponlight allows you to still utilize your sights, due to their silhouette being visible. Losing focus on your night sights is irrelevant.

3- A weaponlight should be sufficiently bright to blind an intruder/aggressor. It's a force multiplier, and gives the user an edge by increasing the enemy's response time, and reducing their effectiveness.
    When a weaponlight is of the proper brightness to blind your opponent, they will not be able to return fire by "shooting at the light". This is a myth in today's world of bright tactical flashlights, and was only true before the invention of modern flashlight technology.

4- Weaponlights allow two handed manipulation of pistols, increasing accuracy, stability, and speed. They also allow for one handed operation of pistols AND lights, dramatically increasing the quality of work, and ability of the user to perform tasks such as phone use, aiding family members, opening/closing doors, etc.

The only reason to not have a weaponlight on a defensive firearm is bulk and weight for carry.
    Last edited by masakarijoe; January 29th, 2018 at 12:23 PM.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast