Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mossberg 590a1 vs Remington 870

Unfair comparison. You are comparing a generic shotgun (the 870) with the top of the line model in the 590 series. No contest.

590 vs. 870 would be more reasonable.

(Montgomery County)

If you want to talk generic to generic, Standard Mossberg 500 vs 870 Express.

I'll take the 500 there too.

I prefer the loading gate concept of the Mossberg, like that it has dual extractors, also prefer the larger ejection port and then of course the tang safety.

It's simpler to use, potentially more reliable, easier to do a reload while under stress (either into the mag tube or one at a time into the ejection port), and ambi friendly.

It's just a better design across the board. The only point the 870 gets is it's easier to extend the magazine if desired. Flame suit on.

That said, I DO own a couple 870s. Both are 20 gauge. One is a large frame Wingmaster, the other is an 18.5" Express that my wife is comfortable using compared to our 590. Actually, that express is pretty damn cool. Flush mag extension, it's got a vent rib barrel with end and mid bead, interchangeable chokes and a youth stock. I added a side saddle too. Handy and useful... but if I need something dead I'd prefer 12 gauge on the whole.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; March 15th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

Check with competitive Clay Shooters. Both guns are used and Mossbergs just fail more often. Clay target shooters shoot a LOT. And the 870 has a reputation for reliability that Mossberg lacks.

Yes the top of the line Mossy vs the cheapest 870 express is a poor comparison.

Older Wingmasters are the best.

Another Mossberg voter here. I dont care if it is turkeys, ducks, bears or deer, there is a Mossberg for all seasons

Can I vote none of the above?
    Winchester SXP for me.

But otherwise I would go for the Mossberg design. Specifically a Maverick 88 with a 500 forend. I don't really like guns that require factory service. The Mossberg you can purchase ALL the parts for yourself and install them yourself. No need to ever send it to the factory.
    The SXP does have alot of "factory service only" parts that are not generally sold on the open market, but I was willing to excuse that because it's an otherwise awesome design.

Ok I'm done with my preaching of the SXP gospel, you can all return to discussing the lesser shotguns.
    Last edited by Nickel Plated; July 18th, 2018 at 07:21 PM.

(Chester County)

Remington 870 would be the choice for me. I've owned both the 500 and 870 and the 870 fits me better. I'm pretty tall so if you're tall the 870 is the better choice.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Perry County)

Was always an 870 guy, personal and professional. It's the one I know.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    Check with competitive Clay Shooters. Both guns are used and Mossbergs just fail more often. Clay target shooters shoot a LOT. And the 870 has a reputation for reliability that Mossberg lacks.

Yes the top of the line Mossy vs the cheapest 870 express is a poor comparison.

Older Wingmasters are the best.
    what typically fails?

i throw in for the mossberg, i couldn't get the 590 with ghost rings, was backordered forever. so i got a 500 with two barrels.
    only complaint i had was sharp edges around feeding, a file and my fingers no longer get it.
    switched the stock out for a recoil reducing blackhawk.

nice to see nickel plated is of similar mind with parts availability. i'll never buy another gun that requires being sent in just because a manufacturer refuses to sell the parts to public.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Philadelphia County)

590A1. Carry one on the job. Eventually bought two for personal use. And then a Shockwave.

Nothing against Remington or Winchester, I just like the Mossberg better.

(Allegheny County)

Can I be the weirdo that says Ithaca 37 instead of either the Mossberg or Remmy? I kinda do it every time one of these threads pop up.

Smoothest pump action out of the box compared to any other pump I've ever handled, new or broken in. No spring loaded shell lifter also means it's the smoothest loading pump gun I've ever used (also, no chewed up fingers or gloves). Barrel attachment to receiver is via interrupted thread for a less sloppy fit. Shoulders and swings like a dream. Bottom eject is great for any hand you try to shoot it with, keeps the action well sealed, and both sides of the receivers as real estate for engraving, or for tacticool shell holders.

Main downsides are, if you plan on using it as an HD/tactical gun, the accessory market isn't as big, and it's tricky to single load from the chamber (though it's still possible, contrary to popular belief). Also, a brand new one isn't cheap. But that's because they're aiming to make a nice shotgun, and they don't cut corners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast