Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Question Contemplating getting a Mak

I know that there are a lot of people on the board who either have Maks or have had them so I will put the following questions to you. I see a lot of positive posts about the Bulgarian Maks but are there any I should NOT get? How easy is it to get ammunition? What ammo manufacturer should I either look for or avoid? This is my first though of purchasing a soviet block weapon guys so I just need a little direction.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Contemplating getting a Mak

Hey billamj, I picked up a Russian Mak in .380 last fall from Surplus City for $199. The first time I shot it, all went well and it was very accurate. The second time out, out of 100 rounds, I had 5 or 6 no-fires, which on the second attempt, pulling back the hammer, did fire.

I know that they are tricky if the firing pin becomes dirty and I kept the pin clean and lubed, but the same on the 3rd time out, so now it sits in the safe. I am going to get a new firing pin and hope that solves it.

I don't like the craftmanship, I would never carry this pistol but it sure is accurate...Mike45

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: Contemplating getting a Mak

I'd say get one. I bought my first one 2 months ago, and immediately bought a second one right behind it. Both are E German guns that were too cheap to pass up. They are accurate shooters, and have very few parts (there is little to go wrong with them). Also, prices are going nowhere but up.

There are a few countries that made them. E German ones are probably the most collectable, although they probably shoot no better than the Russian or Bulgarian guns.

As far as ammunition goes, it's fairly common, although you won't find a huge selection. 75% of the stuff out there is Russian Surplus, although Hornady, S&B, and a few other companies make ammo for the Mak. There are enough guns out there chambered in 9x18 that you don't have to worry about the round becoming "obscure" in 20 years.

As long as we're discussing true Makarovs and not PA-63s, Polish P-64 and the like, I'll second Travis' comments verbatim. I'll also add Chinese Type 59s are the worst, but still functional. E Germans are the best made in terms of fit & finish, and have the highest value. Most of the Russian Makarovs were required to have an adjustable rear sight, and are known as model "IJ-70".

There are Makarov variants that are high capacity, the only caveat I know of is the magazines are tricky to find. The standard Makarov magazines are very inexpensive. A few may be chambered in .380 ACP, but right now 9.2x18 is cheaper and readily available.

As far as carry guns, they were never intended for concealability, so they're a little larger than western blowback pistols. They also came in blue only, so your only corrosion resistant options are nickel or chrome plating, or some type of coating. Also, they lack night sights, but there was one gent that was offering a tritium conversion. This is about as close as I got -- http://www.makarov.com/slide/index.html

Ammunition is readily available. Most of mine is plain corrosive surplus FMJ for practice and familiarity retention. I do have some Russian 9.2x18 hollowpoint, but I rarely carry a Makarov since I have a couple of Glocks for that purpose.

May I make a suggestion? Think about what you intend to use it for. If you want a high reliablity handgun that eats cheap ammo and could be used defensively, the Makarov is fine.

Also see:
    http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html
    http://forums.1911forum.com/printthread.php?t=31877

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    right now 9.2x18 is cheaper and readily available.

[/URL]
    I've never seen that designation before. I'm a little new to that caliber though.

As far as concealability goes, my first E German Mak came with a Don Hume JIT belt holster that is outstanding. The Mak is a pretty light & trim pistol and conceals well.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I've never seen that [9.2x18] designation before. I'm a little new to that caliber though.
    Sorry, I've been using 9.2mmx18 to differentiate 9mm Makarov from all the other 9x18 sizes. Apparently 9mm Makarov is the only one that's 9.2mm/0.364" diameter. Apparently it's beginning to catch on, judging by what's on the 'net.

(Luzerne County)

Buy the Mak. Buy the Mak. Then send it to me. Sorry. I have one from each country of origin. The russian military ones, e. german and bulgarians all are fairly close in quality with the edge to the e. german. The chinese are rare and sometimes the quality on the commercial manufactured ones from norinco is questionable. Plus they are more collectable and command a higher price. The commercial russians with the adjustable sites are ok. My personal choice for concealed carry is my 1980 bulgarian. Unbelievably accurate at 20 yards and NEVER had failed to feed for me. I love the gun! I prefer it in the 9x18 but a 380 works if you find an inexpensive one. Good luck and I learned a lot of stuff from makarov.com and from posting on the gunboards.com site dedicated to makarovs.

(Washington County)

I have a Russian and a Bulgarian and both are very dependable guns. The Russian's had about 2000 rds through it over the past 10 years, and it has not had a failure yet. not failure to feed/eject/fire. The Bulgarian hasn't been shot as much but hasn't jammed either.

For carry, I'd say go with the Bulgarian. The Russians have a big adjustable rear sight that can get snagged on clothing, etc.

I've converted a few friends over to Maks, and they all like them as well.

The FEG PA-63 I have jams constantly. The P-64 kicks like mule! It actually hurts my hand to shoot it.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Luzerne County)

The russian commercials were made for export and therefore the quality does not match the military russian pm but it is still a great little gun. The adjustable sights on them however imho are aweful. They were added on to comply with the import regulations. Makarov.com had replacement sights for them at one time but they stopped production. I put them on my russian commercial and they are great. Besides, if you need a sight that can shoot in defense out past 25 yards, you better have a good lawyer too.

I was holding a $120 E German Makarov back in 93 (came with holster, 2 mags, maintainence tag) but I put it down like a dummy. I was thinking about the availability of the 9x18 round. Now if I can turn back time....that would be another story.

I hear that Makarov.com got some E German Mak left, but with the price they asked. For about another 100 bucks more, I would grab a new Glockster instead.

1FingrCHan