Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Martial arts training for a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    I don't want him competing I want him to learn self discipline and to walk away from the conflict knowing full well he can win it.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    He is fine with that not kicking and screaming not wanting to go but he is apprehensive and timid when fists start flying, not so timid when he runs his mouth at school so it's a good way to reconcile the two. Plus general conditioning never hurt anyone. He is too small fro basketball, or football, 10th percentile weight/height for his age group. So he gets thrown in front of the heavy bag.

Kokikai Aikido. The only competition is within to better your self. "Timid when fists fly"...with aikido techniques he could defend himself without ever actually throwing a punch.

It's definitely not the "hard core" stuff you are looking for...but has it's place none the less.

(Now for the myriad of "aikido isn't a real martial art" posts.)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Martial arts training for a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Kokikai Aikido. The only competition is within to better your self. "Timid when fists fly"...with aikido techniques he could defend himself without ever actually throwing a punch.

It's definitely not the "hard core" stuff you are looking for...but has it's place none the less.

(Now for the myriad of "aikido isn't a real martial art" posts.)
    Thanks for the invitation!

After 16+ years studying and teaching martial arts as an adult (4 years of Karate, 2 years of Judo & Ju-jitsu, and 11 years of Aikido), I think I can speak to the subject with some authority.
    Trying to successfully apply the techniques taught in a classroom environment to the street is problematic for most of the mainstream martial arts being taught today.
    With the exception of the Brazilian schools that teach grappling, the practitioner and the instructor are fooling themselves if they think what they teach and successfully execute in a class room will translate well to the street.
    Lets be honest, almost all martial arts taught today are watered down versions of the original combat system. Very few people today would want to train like they did hundreds of years ago when the systems were designed for self preservation in combat.
    Unless you can engage in full contact in practice you'll come up way short on the street. Even with schools who practice full contact, safety rules have to be in place to help protect the practitioners. Unfortunately, most of those safety rules take away many of the most effective self-defense techniques available. which means the students don't learn or practice them. You really can't practice gouging out eyes or kicking someone in the balls for real.

With that aside, let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed all of those years of training and teaching the martial arts. However, it took me many, many years and the wisdom gained over those years to come to understand and accept that martial arts taught today is nothing more than an "art form" for self development or a sport to participate in formal competitions. There are many benefits in the training in any martial style, just be honest with yourself that practical self-defense in most of those systems isn't one of those benefits.

Note: I'm not including or speaking to MMA in my comments because the training and goals seem to be different across the various schools who claim to teach MMA.

Note2: Judo is a pretty decent system that can translate somewhat to the street, however it has a few draw backs that Brazilian Ju-jitsu over comes.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 23rd, 2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234