Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Martial arts training for a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I’d say it’s very specific to the individual. Some of our greatest athletes never would have been if their parents hadn’t made them try and then made them stick with it. And they were glad their parents did.
    It’s not much different than anything else a parent does to direct their kids in a certain direction. Of course I’m not talking about pageant moms and the angry father at Little League. I’m just saying some kids will sit on the sideline unless they are forced into the world. For most it’s fear and insecurity. Kids don’t understand that just about all their friends have the same
    That . He is fine with that not kicking and screaming not wanting to go but he is apprehensive and timid when fists start flying, not so timid when he runs his mouth at school so it's a good way to reconcile the two. Plus general conditioning never hurt anyone. He is too small fro basketball, or football, 10th percentile weight/height for his age group. So he gets thrown in front of the heavy bag.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I started at 13 after I was stabbed on my paper route.
    Stopped when I was around 25ish.
    A friend of mine was stabbed to death at a flyers game back in 79 or 80 (cant remember).

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    A friend of mine was stabbed to death at a flyers game back in 79 or 80 (cant remember).
    Man, sorry to hear of your friend.

Mine was nothing more than a kitchen pearing knife....and the fuckers were never caught...all they got was my Huffy!
    Not much damage but I still have the scars...more blood than anything.
    I remember the cops showed hours later with my address written on a dunkin donuts plate after I was already stitched up.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Personally, I don't see how you would get a 10 year old to commit to years of blood, sweat and tears if it's not something he wants to do.
    I won't, I would dump him in the pool and he will swim because he doesn't want to drown. He is not against it I just need to find right environment for him where it's not about collecting stickers and trophies but about learning and working hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    As a Karate instructor for 20 years, look for the schools history of instructors. Should go back to at least the 1940's or further. I strongly recommend he goes to wrestling or gymnastics, (pound for pound they are the strongest), in school. Competition shows where he's weak in techniques or physical conditioning. If your son had to defend him self from bullies he needs to have SELF-CONFIDENCE in his combat ability and physical condition. Remember. Adrenaline dump come's in when threatened. Training and physical conditioning must be proven TO HIM, NOT YOU, because he has to face the challenge himself.

When I first started in Karate in 1970, I entered competition. The first fight was a FAST ATTACKER. I had no techniques to deal with that. So I trained do deal with fast attackers. Next completion my opponent was "counter fighter". I didn't know how to deal with that! So I trained on how to fight a counter fighter. Next opponent was a big and tall guy, out weighed me by 80 pounds. I didn't know how to fight a bigger opponent, big bones vs small bones. So. I trained on how to fight bigger guys.

Can you see the progressions I had to make to defend my self. Keep in mind, the most dangerous and effective opponent is guy 6' to 6'-3" weighing in the 180# range. He is as fast as a light weight and powerful as a heavy weight. If he's afraid of completion, tell him it's only to show him what he needs to train on.

In all my REAL fights, I never fought anyone that was my size. The laws of physics were always against me. Yet I prevailed because my losses in COMPETITIONS. forced me to find the ways to defend myself.
    I hear you and I looked at gymnastics, but 99 of classes are girls. Him being the only boy in the class is a bit weird. He was in Judo for a year, he learned a bit it was a decent school but then we moved and judo in the area we are in now is about doing competitions. As far as competition goes there is a competition and there is a competition. I never competed for trophies or earned belts. But every week there was a full class of go rounds you vs 6'4 200 pounder instructors full contact full speed on our part we got "punished" for mistakes. They knew how to inflict maximum pain with minimum permanent damage. Every other week there was same type of go around inner school elimination type match ups paired up with kids different sizes different skill levels every month same type match ups with neighboring schools. I bled I was black and blue at times I learned fast to control my fear and I had fun. So I'm all for that type of competition but formal stuff with chasing trophies and belts I'm not too big on if instructor gets a tunnel vision with competition stuff it spells an injury for a kid. Bloody nose, split lip and eyebrow stitches is one thing torn ligaments is another.
    Last edited by matrosov; January 21st, 2018 at 05:34 PM.

I still say get him in wrestling if he's for it...it's a start at least. We're already well into the season but take him to a match and check it out.
    I tried with my 13yo, he just doesn't have it in him and I'm an assistant youth wrestling coach with a 2nd dan in Aikido. I really hoped he would but it's just not in his cards.
    Not to sound like an asshole and I don't mean this in any derogatory way so please understand...but make it more about him and less about you.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I don't mean this in any derogatory way so please understand...but make it more about him and less about you.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    That . He is fine with that not kicking and screaming not wanting to go but he is apprehensive and timid when fists start flying, not so timid when he runs his mouth at school so it's a good way to reconcile the two. Plus general conditioning never hurt anyone. He is too small fro basketball, or football, 10th percentile weight/height for his age group. So he gets thrown in front of the heavy bag.
    Start w/ judo? First tools first, and using the opponents' action against them is a smart way to start. Also less painful. Progress from there...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    Hi guys loosely gun related topic. Looking for a martial arts training for my 10 year old son. By martial arts I mean practical self defense oriented martial arts dojos not mcdojos that are now it seems on every corner . Just to describe what I'm looking for back at his age when I started doing this stuff in Russia class lasted hour and a half to two hours, during the class we did at least 50 pushups for younger kids and 50 situps plus whole bunch of other body weight exercises,reps grew with age groups. With the first class you'd start on confidence partnered exercises one of them was you stand hands behind your head your partner slaps you on the face followed by punches to the stomach, you had to maintain a smile on your face. What was taught was not really any particular style, we learned anything and everything from combat sambo to wing chun to traditional boxing, with jiu jitsu in between. That type of martial arts. Do we have any schools in the area like this? Yes I get it insurance regulations child abuse regulations all that nice stuff but still want to find a school that will work his ass off for my money and teach him to work thru fear and obstacles. And of course teach him skills.

http://fistofblacklotus.wixsite.com/haloarts

I've been conversing with one of the instructors at this place for a while now about him getting started in hunting, but both of us having families and more than one job, finding the time is hard. From the discussions we've had, he seems like he's a pretty level-headed guy. Plus, he's in you area. Give him a shout and maybe check out the school.

What I can say is that I used to be a lazy fat kid until my dad said "You're too fat. You're going to play football to get in shape" . So I had to start running 15 laps around the yard every day. Wasn't allowed to skip a day if we weren't home. Had to run 30 laps the next day. It ended up being 3.5 miles a day. The first summer I hated everything to do with it. Peewee football was OK, but I was still out of shape. The second summer I was older and found my stride. I was getting into better shape than the other kids and by midget football I was getting strong. I started first team offense and defense in Jr. high and played a lot of varsity as an underclassman. I was power lifting by 10th grade, and was smart enough to see that I was just too small to be competetive beyond high school ball. But by the time I quit Jr. year, I was probably one of the top 3-5 most physically fit kids in the school.

My dad pushing me was the best thing he could have done for me.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    "You're too fat. You're going to play football to get in shape"
    Has he seen these guys?

https://www.google.com/search?biw=87....0.JmPuFpPy45Q

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast