Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Martial arts training for a kid.

Do you want martial arts or self-defence? We have 3 or 4 churches up here that have martial arts ministries and they are free. It is to teach the real martial arts, the basic philosophy, self confidence, self discipline, respect and probably what you wouldn't like avoidance if possible.
    Last edited by Exbiker; January 20th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.

(Chester County)

When I was a kid, everyone got bullied at some point during their youth... it was part of growing up. Most of us learned how to deal and got threw it, while others struggled. Personally, getting bullied was a character builder for me and I learned situational awareness at a young age.

Fast forward to today... parents hire lawyers to sue schools and other parents of bullies when their snowflake kids come home with a bloody nose.

I think exposing kids to martial arts type classes is a good idea (if they’re ok with it). I have an acquaintance at work who got a family membership at a local MA gym, so mom, dad and sons are all involved together. Like Exbiker pointed out, the classes are about building self-confidence, which is what kids need. And getting in shape is an added benefit.

I took judo lessons when I was 10, maybe younger.
    The finger behind the ear move HURTS!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I took judo lessons when I was 10, maybe younger.
    The finger behind the ear move HURTS!
    ahh, yes, the Vulcan squeeze...

Vulcannervepinch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    ahh, yes, the Vulcan squeeze...

Vulcannervepinch.jpg
    Thats the neck, (had a teacher that would do that to the bad kids).
    This one is right at the end of the skull behind the earlobe. There
    is a soft spot there, try it, it'll turn your lights out,

(Somerset County)

My 8 year old son has been taking karate for almost 3 years now. Its not at a chain & with my own experience in martial arts many years ago I believe he's getting good training. It's also great for keeping him in shape.

He's not learning street fighting or anything like that but he's learned enough to take care of himself in a bullying situation. I wish his school offered more actual free sparring or less rules when sparring but I also know in today's world with lawsuits etc, that's hard to do. Don't want little Johnny to actually get a cut lip or bloody nose you know!

Also I understand liability insurance for the dojo is astonomical if actual sparring with contact without gear is done.
    NRA Benefactor

(Columbia County)

I suggest you don’t sign up for karate lessons at this place. The only belt they give out is black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU

Fast forward to 2:35 for the real hilarious stuff.

I started at 13 after I was stabbed on my paper route.
    Stopped when I was around 25ish.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I suggest you don’t sign up for karate lessons at this place. The only belt they give out is black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHlg1MqrxU

Fast forward to 2:35 for the real hilarious stuff.
    What in the Sam Hell was that!? LOL!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
    I thought so too until I started looking around and found it's all about franchises and looking good and buying gear and screaming kiaaaah at the top of your lungs and less about actually working till your uniform drips with sweat . I don't want him competing I want him to learn self discipline and to walk away from the conflict knowing full well he can win it.
    As a Karate instructor for 20 years, look for the schools history of instructors. Should go back to at least the 1940's or further. I strongly recommend he goes to wrestling or gymnastics, (pound for pound they are the strongest), in school. Competition shows where he's weak in techniques or physical conditioning. If your son had to defend him self from bullies he needs to have SELF-CONFIDENCE in his combat ability and physical condition. Remember. Adrenaline dump come's in when threatened. Training and physical conditioning must be proven TO HIM, NOT YOU, because he has to face the challenge himself.

When I first started in Karate in 1970, I entered competition. The first fight was a FAST ATTACKER. I had no techniques to deal with that. So I trained do deal with fast attackers. Next completion my opponent was "counter fighter". I didn't know how to deal with that! So I trained on how to fight a counter fighter. Next opponent was a big and tall guy, out weighed me by 80 pounds. I didn't know how to fight a bigger opponent, big bones vs small bones. So. I trained on how to fight bigger guys.

Can you see the progressions I had to make to defend my self. Keep in mind, the most dangerous and effective opponent is guy 6' to 6'-3" weighing in the 180# range. He is as fast as a light weight and powerful as a heavy weight. If he's afraid of completion, tell him it's only to show him what he needs to train on.

In all my REAL fights, I never fought anyone that was my size. The laws of physics were always against me. Yet I prevailed because my losses in COMPETITIONS. forced me to find the ways to defend myself.
    Last edited by ideaman; January 20th, 2018 at 12:22 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast