Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clarion County)

Default House bill 2016 - 2nd amendment rights during emergency

An Act amending Title 18 (Crimes and Offenses) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, in firearms and other dangerous articles, further providing for prohibited conduct during emergency.
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&bn=2016
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: House bill 2016 - 2nd amendment rights during emergency

From the above link (inline bolding mine):
    House of Representatives
    Session of 2017 - 2018 Regular Session
    MEMORANDUM

Posted: January 12, 2018 01:29 PM
    To: All House members
    Subject: Protecting Second Amendment Rights During Emergencies
    I hope you will join me in sponsoring urgent legislation needed to protect the Second Amendment rights of lawful firearm owners in light of the governor’s recent disaster declaration.

As you know, the governor issued a disaster proclamation related to the Commonwealth’s opioid crisis. I absolutely agree that the scourge of opioid, heroin and other illegal drugs, which are killing our citizens, must be fought in every way possible. A disaster declaration gives the governor vast powers, which I hope and trust he will use to help our citizens expeditiously address the opioid crisis.

But a disaster declaration under Title 35 has certain automatic effects, which I do not believe that the governor contemplated before issuing his proclamation. One such effect under Title 18 is that a declaration criminalizes the open carrying in public or on public property of any firearm – whether a handgun, rifle or shotgun. The intent of this prohibition is to protect communities from looting and criminal behavior in the time of a natural disaster, and would last for the full duration of the declared disaster. While the declaration of disaster for the opioid crisis gives the state tools to use to help Pennsylvania citizens in this public health crisis, the issue addressed under Title 18 in the declaration is not necessary and should not be in effect.

My bill would simply provide that the prohibition against open carrying of an otherwise lawful firearm only applies if the disaster declaration expressly declares that such a prohibition is required to maintain public safety. Because the governor’s disaster declaration made no such declaration, upon enactment of this bill, firearm owners’ Second Amendment rights would once again be secure in Pennsylvania.
    The first bolded part, the "intent":
    With the understanding that concealing a long gun is somewhat difficult, this reads to me like they want to ban guns without banning guns. Regardless, I fail to see how forcing concealed carry protects communities. Don'tcha think an openly carried long arm would be more of a deterrent than the possibility of one? Just sayin'...

As to the second bolded part:
    Given that politics and .gov work the way they do, this looks like the sort of baby step in the right direction that might actually fly - not that Wolf is likely to sign it if it passes. Ideally the whole section regarding firearm limitations would be gone, but - again - this is the right direction.

My 2¢

(Crawford County)

Let’s see who joins in the sponsorship. She’s been around awhile and serves on many committees. To me her best resume builder was working during the Ridge and Schweiker Administrations, two of my favorite Governors.

(Susquehanna County)

I am telling you all.. it is no mistake that Wolfie signed the State of Emergency and it restricts open carry .. they knew exactly what they are doing and could have easily stated it would not affect gun rights.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Let’s see who joins in the sponsorship. She’s been around awhile and serves on many committees. To me her best resume builder was working during the Ridge and Schweiker Administrations, two of my favorite Governors.
    I thought Schweiker did a good job as interim governor, and don't understand why he didn't run after his term.

He would have been infinitely better than Corbett IMHO.

I hope this passes.

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I thought Schweiker did a good job as interim governor, and don't understand why he didn't run after his term.

He would have been infinitely better than Corbett IMHO.

I hope this passes.
    He was an honest guy who stepped aside for Corbett who had all the Allegheny County juice behind him. Corbett turned out to be a disappointment and I signed the petition for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I am telling you all.. it is no mistake that Wolfie signed the State of Emergency and it restricts open carry .. they knew exactly what they are doing and could have easily stated it would not affect gun rights.
    If Wolf were to veto this bill or attempt to sink it- then his administration lied straight to our faces when he said that he wouldn't go after gun owners at this time. I expect no less from politicians and bureaucrats.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Is it illegal to open carry with a LTCF during a state of emergency? Or is it only illegal without a LTCF?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Ridge voted for the 1994 Assault Weapons ban when he was a US Congressman. Ridge is a backstabber.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Northampton County)

Without a ltcf. Can open carry with a ltcf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast