Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Open Carrying on State Property

Hello all, I have just turned 18 a few monthes back and decided to purchase my first shotgun.
    I do enjoy hiking and going on gamelands, and state parks / forests.
    Am I allowed to carry my shotgun on my back for self defense? Mostly against Blackbears and other wildlife. Same goes for camping. Would I be allowed to have it in my tent ? Thanks a lot. Looking forward to your replies.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Open Carrying on State Property

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDiesel View Post
    Hello all, I have just turned 18 a few monthes back and decided to purchase my first shotgun.
    Am I allowed to carry my shotgun on my back for self defense? Mostly against Blackbears and other wildlife. Same goes for camping. Would I be allowed to have it in my tent ? Thanks a lot. Looking forward to your replies.
    People much more knowledgeable than myself regarding game laws will be along to discuss the legalities of carrying a hunting weapon on game lands relative to what season(s) may or may not be in effect.

As to your thread title:
    Around these parts (PAFOA, a.k.a. poofa) Open Carry, or OC, *usually* refers to the unconcealed carry of a handgun, something that is current legal in some form in 43 states. Carrying a handgun may be done legally without a license in PA UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, among them:
    1. Openly - PA requires you have your LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) to carry concealed (or CC), meaning generally hidden from view. If your jacket falls over it, it's not open.
    2. On foot - PA requires your LTCF to carry in/on a vehicle or conveyance (car, truck, bus, horse, bicycle, skateboard...).
    3. Outside of Philadelphia - PA requires your LTCF for *any* carry in a City of the First Class (Phila currently being the only one).
    4. Absent a declared State of Emergency - PA requires your LTCF to carry when a State of Emergency is in effect, like the one Gov. Wolf declared a week or so ago to fight the opioid situation.

Among other things, obtaining your LTCF requires you be 21, so you should be aware that your ability to legally carry a handgun in PA will remain severely restricted for the next 3 years. You didn't ask about handguns, but your title needed to be addressed, so I have provided some information upon which you may cogitate awhile.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), so do your own research on all of the above. A good resource is http://forum.pafoa.org

Pa. is currently under a state of emergency. You MAY NOT OC during a state of emergency without a LTCF. By the time that changes you may be 21. Others will be along shortly to answer your other questions. IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Jefferson County)

I would not "hike" game lands with a shotgun, out of season, and without a hunting license. You WILL look like you are hunting - the hiking will appear to be stalking game and with the possession of the gun it WILL constitute "hunting"(yes, this is mentioned in law). If you're out of a specific game season and/or lack the hunting license, you will be found guilty in front of the magistrate, be fined, and probably lose the gun to confiscation.

PA is under a state of emergency right now so you are required to have a LTCF to even carry a shotgun openly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    People much more knowledgeable than myself regarding game laws will be along to discuss the legalities of carrying a hunting weapon on game lands relative to what season(s) may or may not be in effect.

As to your thread title:
    Around these parts (PAFOA, a.k.a. poofa) Open Carry, or OC, *usually* refers to the unconcealed carry of a handgun, something that is current legal in some form in 43 states. Carrying a handgun may be done legally without a license in PA UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, among them:
    1. Openly - PA requires you have your LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) to carry concealed (or CC), meaning generally hidden from view. If your jacket falls over it, it's not open.
    2. On foot - PA requires your LTCF to carry in/on a vehicle or conveyance (car, truck, bus, horse, bicycle, skateboard...).
    3. Outside of Philadelphia - PA requires your LTCF for *any* carry in a City of the First Class (Phila currently being the only one).
    4. Absent a declared State of Emergency - PA requires your LTCF to carry when a State of Emergency is in effect, like the one Gov. Wolf declared a week or so ago to fight the opioid situation.

Among other things, obtaining your LTCF requires you be 21, so you should be aware that your ability to legally carry a handgun in PA will remain severely restricted for the next 3 years. You didn't ask about handguns, but your title needed to be addressed, so I have provided some information upon which you may cogitate awhile.

IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), so do your own research on all of the above. A good resource is http://forum.pafoa.org
    PA Code 141.43 states one cannot carry a firearm, not legal for use in that season, without a LTCF! further discussed here http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=71278

Also as mentioned is the State of Emergency which restricts the OP from Open Carry with the exception of legal hunting firearm, during appropriate season with a hunting license
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Carrying a shotgun, even if legal in your situation, would just bring unwanted attention, and may even alarm some people, because it just isn't normal. Nobody needs a shotgun for everyday self defense. Black bears aren't dangerous, and a pistol is adequate for taking care of people problems. Nobody NEEDS a shotgun unless there's a specific elevated threat.

<flame suit on>

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    PA Code 141.43 states one cannot carry a firearm, not legal for use in that season, without a LTCF! further discussed here http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=71278

Also as mentioned is the State of Emergency which restricts the OP from Open Carry with the exception of legal hunting firearm, during appropriate season with a hunting license
    See, what did I tell ya?

(Susquehanna County)

So OP just turned 18 and cannot CCW .. hence shotgun question... but under State of Emergency and Game laws he is kind of forbidden now and many other times.

May I suggest a nice big can of bear spray.. however, be very aware that some surrounding commie states forbid pepper spray for those under 18 and/or without a permit.. so PA only
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDiesel View Post

What did you do prior to turning 18?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Westmoreland County)

Whats the state of emergency?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast