Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default How Gassy Are PSA AR9mm Pistols?

Can anyone comment on how gassy the blowback PSA AR9 pistols are? How about reliability? Concerned about gas because I'm a lefty as well.

I like this configuration:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516447502.html

But also just wondering if the new Ruger PC carbine will be a more shootable, reliable platform. Cheaper too, especially with another $70 in sights for the PSA added. Of course it's pistol vs. rifle and there are pros and cons to both when it comes to PA law (ROS registry vs loaded in vehicle).

A 10" barrel is more handy than 16" and still gives 9mm more punch than standard handguns, but of course the Ruger takes down which is handy as well.

How about muzzle blast in 9mm for 10" vs 16" barrel if an indoor HD shot is taken?
    Last edited by jthrelf; January 18th, 2018 at 12:36 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: How Gassy Are PSA AR9mm Pistols?

I built that configuration before PSA offered it. Since I'm righty, I don't know about gas in your face, but I'd say it's better than a 5.56mm of the same size since there is less powder. Mine has replaced the 5.56mm pistol I built as a house gun (same size) mainly because it's much quieter for indoor use. I will admit the Ruger is good looking and I'm sure a decent build. Good luck!

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Can anyone comment on how gassy the blowback PSA AR9 pistols are? How about reliability? Concerned about gas because I'm a lefty as well.

I like this configuration:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516447502.html

But also just wondering if the new Ruger PC carbine will be a more shootable, reliable platform. Cheaper too, especially with another $70 in sights for the PSA added. Of course it's pistol vs. rifle and there are pros and cons to both when it comes to PA law (ROS registry vs loaded in vehicle).

A 10" barrel is more handy than 16" and still gives 9mm more punch than standard handguns, but of course the Ruger takes down which is handy as well.

How about muzzle blast in 9mm for 10" vs 16" barrel if an indoor HD shot is taken?
    OP I've been watching some videos where folks are using silicone gasket maker and forming a little gasket on the charging handle. Being that you are left handed I'm not sure if this would help you much, and I've not yet got around to giving this a try myself.

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

What causes "gas in your face"?

A short barrel?

I shoot my 5,56 and 9mm AR carbines (16") with my nose pretty near touching the charging handle and I've never noticed any "gas".
    I'm right handed which seems it may make a difference if talking about the ejection port, but not relevant in terms of the charging handle.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    What causes "gas in your face"?

A short barrel?

I shoot my 5,56 and 9mm AR carbines (16") with my nose pretty near touching the charging handle and I've never noticed any "gas".
    I'm right handed which seems it may make a difference if talking about the ejection port, but not relevant in terms of the charging handle.
    I assumed maybe he was using a suppressor but now I see he never mentioned that.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Montgomery County)

My main gas/debris concern (warranted or not) is the fact that it's a blowback.