Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Proposal to Allow Semi Automatic Shotguns for Deer, Bear and Elk

On the agenda for the January Came Commission is a proposal to allow semi-automatic shotguns for deer bear and elk.

C. Amend 58 Pa. Code §§ 141.43, 141.44, and 141.47.
    Commentary: In an effort to expand hunting opportunities within the Commonwealth,
    the Commission is proposing to amend §§ 141.43, 141.44, and 141.47
    (relating to deer, bear, and elk) to authorize the use of semiautomatic,
    centerfire shotguns for firearms deer, bear and elk seasons.
    The
    Commission has historically permitted the use of semiautomatic shotguns
    for deer and bear seasons within most areas defined as special regulations
    areas. The Commission is proposing to extend this authorization to the
    remainder of the Commonwealth.

The agenda can be found here. http://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRes...y%20Agenda.pdf

Hopefully rifles will be next if all goes well with the shotguns.

Default Re: Proposal to Allow Semi Automatic Shotguns for Deer, Bear and Elk

It would be nice but don't get your hopes up. Maybe they will send more questionnaires out to a select number of fudds to see what the "public opinion" is on it. Just like any other government monopoly you end up with cronyism and corruption top to bottom, bottom to top.

Game commission should take an on-line poll of licensed hunters. Log in with your hunting license number. 1 vote per license.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

This is about what I suspected. I think the PGC will legalize semi rifles for hunting eventually. But seeing how split the opinions are about it, I think they're easing us there a step at a time. Semis for small game and varmints last year. No accidents etc resulting. This year they'll probably pass shotguns. Makes sense since they were already legal for turkey. Another season without incident and we may see semi rifles on the table for 2019.

I think they have to recognize the reasons to open up PA to semis, but are doing their best to move forward without alienating those against it by easing their way forward. Also likely recognizing that if any state could have legitimate problems with the use of semis in hunting seasons, it would be PA. We have the highest hunter density in the country. This way the old school guys have time to get used to the idea and can see already that small game season was not a bloodbath war zone, and going forward, if there are no incidents, I forsee more legalization of semis for hunting.

I dont plan to carry a semi for anything besides range practice. But have no worries about other guys doing it. As long as we hunters as a culture are still stressing shot placement, ethical kills etc the semis will be as effective as current rifles. Hunting as a sport needs as many members in the ranks as possible to stay alive. The more the merrier.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Game commission should take an on-line poll of licensed hunters. Log in with your hunting license number. 1 vote per license.
    but how could they fix the results to agree with the 6 fudds they do poll?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

It seems that the argument always equates semi auto with AR15s. Then it devolves into arguments about “banana clips” and spray and pray.

Semi auto rifles were being used to hunt (not in PA) long before the AR15 was developed.

(Bucks County)

Hunters= 1 person/vote
    Land owners having standing= 3/5 a person/vote

(Bucks County)

If I'm a hunter that owns property do I get an 8/5 vote for semi auto inclusion?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by CMP703006 View Post
    If I'm a hunter that owns property do I get an 8/5 vote for semi auto inclusion?
    It's refreshing to see someone understands the concept of adding fractions.

I had a feeling this is how Game Commission would roll out introducing semi auto for hunting seasons. They did the same thing with crossbows a few years ago...started out in special regs areas than opened it up to the entire state.

PA has some old hunting laws that need to be seriously updated.

I personally would rather see us being able to hunt with NV/thermal and Sunday hunting than semi auto. Actually, I want to see all of these items being allowed in this backwards state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast