I am not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but it would seem to me that Weiss did not retreat before firing the shot. If he would have gone back to his car and stayed there and Rahim moved towards him and continued his verbal attack, then Weiss may have had a defense if Rahim did go for his pistol.

I don't see this turning out good for Weiss. This is just another example of just because you have a CCW, doesn't mean you have the right to shoot. Knowing the laws of your state (not just being familiar) is imperative if you are going to carry. This isn't a video game and there are real life and death decisions to be made in a moment's notice.

First and foremost, Weiss escalated the situation when he retrieved his gun and returned to Rahim's location. He set himself up with that action. Since there was no physical threat at that time, he ended up being the aggressor. Strike 2. Strike 3 came when he shot Rahim without due cause or a witness to back up his claims.

I don't know what to say other than people who carry should learn from this situation and realize that a CCW weapon should stay concealed until it is absolutely required to save your life. DAs today just love to bring people up on charges when things like this happens. But in this case, I think there was no other way. Guilty as charged. (Caveat: as long as these are the facts as presented in the write up.)