Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Negligent discharge

Complacency can be a bitch, I bet he doesn't have another ND.

Glad nobody else was injured and hope he recovers.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

I am making an assumption here. As a nine plus year Glock armorer I can tell you that simply pushing out the pin that holds the backstrap and ultimately the trigger housing mechanism in place will not cause the pistol to fire. The gentleman in question here made a conscious decision to PRESS THE TRIGGER. I believe that he was attempting to field strip the pistol to change the backstrap which requires a press of the trigger in a Glock. It's not a product defect or a downfall of the Glock pistol. If you are handling any brand pistol, for any reason other than firing it:

1. Remove the magazine.
    2. Lock the slide to the rear.
    3. Both physically (with a finger) and visually inspect that the chamber is empty.

Do it EVERY time with every pistol. Do it before handing your pistol to another person and insist that they do it before they hand one to you. ESPECIALLY at a gun shop. The horrible gun handling at many gun shops is a appalling.

Again, I made a few assumptions here and I hate to do that because I wasn't there, but it seems logical to me that is how it more than likely happened. I hope the gentleman can speak about the incident and help others to not make the same potentially fatal mistake.
    Jules

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Yeah, no. I'm not buying the line that everyone is destined to have one.

Some shooters are clueless about safety, some are anal about safety, some know better but can't be bothered, and a whole bunch are somewhere in-between those three. Each one has a different probability of fucking up. Sure, someone in the anal group can have an ND, but it's as unlikely as a marathon runner having a heart attack.

And if your LEO friend wasn't well-trained, he might have done worse than shooting a table.
    I agree with Scruff on this.
    (Except for the LEO shooting his table which is inexcusable).
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I am making an assumption here. As a nine plus year Glock armorer I can tell you that simply pushing out the pin that holds the backstrap and ultimately the trigger housing mechanism in place will not cause the pistol to fire. The gentleman in question here made a conscious decision to PRESS THE TRIGGER. I believe that he was attempting to field strip the pistol to change the backstrap which requires a press of the trigger in a Glock. It's not a product defect or a downfall of the Glock pistol. If you are handling any brand pistol, for any reason other than firing it:

1. Remove the magazine.
    2. Lock the slide to the rear.
    3. Both physically (with a finger) and visually inspect that the chamber is empty.

Do it EVERY time with every pistol. Do it before handing your pistol to another person and insist that they do it before they hand one to you. ESPECIALLY at a gun shop. The horrible gun handling at many gun shops is a appalling.

Again, I made a few assumptions here and I hate to do that because I wasn't there, but it seems logical to me that is how it more than likely happened. I hope the gentleman can speak about the incident and help others to not make the same potentially fatal mistake.
    Jules
    I agree with Jules on this.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I agree with Scruff on this.
    (Except for the LEO shooting his table which is inexcusable).
    I'm not excusing him, but training in good muzzle control can mean the difference between shooting furniture and shooting body parts. Rule #2 - "Never let the muzzle cover something you're not willing to destroy". Even if you break the other rules, follow rule #2 and nobody gets hurt. Also, rule #1 (all guns are always loaded) is not a stand-alone rule, it also helps to reinforce rule #2, promoting good muscle memory.

Yeah, no. I'm not buying the line that everyone is destined to have one.

Some shooters are clueless about safety, some are anal about safety, some know better but can't be bothered, and a whole bunch are somewhere in-between those three. Each one has a different probability of fucking up. Sure, someone in the anal group can have an ND, but it's as unlikely as a marathon runner having a heart attack.

And if your LEO friend wasn't well-trained, he might have done worse than shooting a table.
    Maybe the table was made of dogwood......sorry, couldn't resist.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I don’t own a glock so I’ll keep my mouth shut.
    All of my handguns are Glocks...and I have been carrying them for 10 years. I ALWAYS do the same repetitive steps and motions when I put my holster in place and when I take it off...all the while making sure my hand placement is the same...following simple procedures will, if not eliminate, mitigate any potential problems.

I know...I sound like a preacher...but it works.

(Montgomery County)

I'm not excusing him, but training in good muzzle control can mean the difference between shooting furniture and shooting body parts. Rule #2 - "Never let the muzzle cover something you're not willing to destroy". Even if you break the other rules, follow rule #2 and nobody gets hurt. Also, rule #1 (all guns are always loaded) is not a stand-alone rule, it also helps to reinforce rule #2, promoting good muscle memory.
    I hear you.
    I am just less forgiving to those that have had the training.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I hear you.
    I am just less forgiving to those that have had the training.
    Let he who has never had a brain fart cast the first stone.

I think I'm more careful about following the rules because I assume that I'm as capable as anyone of having that brain fart.
    Last edited by scruff; January 17th, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

Let he who has never had a brain fart cast the first stone.

I think I'm more careful about following the rules because I assume that I'm as capable as anyone of having that brain fart.
    Well said.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast