Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: 308 Reloading Venture

Ok gents, show and tell time.. 100yd, mid 50s out, and a slight cross wind. 39/40/41 gr loads. IMO, the 41gr load looks best?

And to anger myself, baseline with box 168s from federal
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Chester County)

Nice work...

As you surely know, testing reloads is a process (hopefully an enjoyable one) and you may wish to do a little bit more work on this if you want to "beat" FGMM groups. I've found that many cartridges have an accuracy "node" at a lower powder throw and a higher powder throw. The old 42.5 gns of IMR 4064 (what I consider the higher powder throw) happens to be it for me.

Experimenting with OAL and crimp will almost certainly make a difference in your ability to tighten your groups to less than thumbnail size- my OAL is around 2.846 and crimp is .332. Your rifle may or may not handle the longer OAL - just sayin'...but I'm shooting through an AIAW.

Oh, and the primers are Fed 210 GMM.

I don't know if you use a Hornady concentricity gauge to check the concentricity while you're inspecting the cartridges after reloading, but that also makes a serious difference: you can frequently correct the concentricity so they all measure 1 or less - which makes for damn accurate rounds.

FWIW, I think you've done a commendable job so far - but are probably only halfway through the testing process.

Thanks for circling back and sharing your great work...
    - bamboomaster

(Lancaster County)

I am forcing myself to only vary charge loads at this point. I know its a rabbit hole that I will never get out of if I change one to many things at once.

I am a mag fed gun so COAL can maybe squeak to ~2.850 but, for now, sticking with the book 2.800.

My plan is to do a half a grain above and below 41gr, and recheck how the gun likes that. Prob order a magnetospeed sporter model and get the ES/SD of the load, and if its good, while shooting the ~.5 MOA, thats the load for now.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Yea, something to measure shoulder size is def on my list. As is a digital scale or chargemaster, cause this beam scale is getting old damn fast. Had to adjust the throw almost for every charge on the thrower.

Projectiles are 168gr Sierra matchkings, HPBT. Wanted to start basic basic and replicate the federal match grade rounds that my 700 loves.
    Don't adjust the charge every time. It's too time consuming and inconsistent. Someone already suggested that you set your charge a little bit low and trickle it up to your desired charge. That is also time consuming but you're not constantly chasing the charge weight coming from your measure.
    When you find your "sweetheart" load you might find that you have a "tolerance" of a few tenths of a grain, as in 42.5 grains works great but 42.3 grains works just as well and so does 42.6 grains. You might just be able to set it for 42.4 or 42.5 grains and as long as you're consistently getting a charge that weighs between 42.3 and 42.6 you'll have great results. Your range of tolerance might be wider or narrower than that, it's just one of the things you'll study and experiment with as you get dialed in and chase perfection. You'll find that absolute perfection is unattainable but very impressive "near perfection" is attainable with a lot less work and time involved. I'm not suggesting that you try to find shortcuts, but I am suggesting that when you find the "sweet spot" you may have some room for slight variance so you can stop torturing yourself when you recognize that you've reached and probably passed the point of diminishing returns. Once you reach a certain level of perfection that most people only dream of you can frustrate yourself by investing a lot more money and time trying to "improve" on something that doesn't need to be improved upon or is perhaps not possible to improve upon.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Don't adjust the charge every time. It's too time consuming and inconsistent. Someone already suggested that you set your charge a little bit low and trickle it up to your desired charge. That is also time consuming but you're not constantly chasing the charge weight coming from your measure.
    When you find your "sweetheart" load you might find that you have a "tolerance" of a few tenths of a grain, as in 42.5 grains works great but 42.3 grains works just as well and so does 42.6 grains. You might just be able to set it for 42.4 or 42.5 grains and as long as you're consistently getting a charge that weighs between 42.3 and 42.6 you'll have great results. Your range of tolerance might be wider or narrower than that, it's just one of the things you'll study and experiment with as you get dialed in and chase perfection. You'll find that absolute perfection is unattainable but very impressive "near perfection" is attainable with a lot less work and time involved. I'm not suggesting that you try to find shortcuts, but I am suggesting that when you find the "sweet spot" you may have some room for slight variance so you can stop torturing yourself when you recognize that you've reached and probably passed the point of diminishing returns. Once you reach a certain level of perfection that most people only dream of you can frustrate yourself by investing a lot more money and time trying to "improve" on something that doesn't need to be improved upon or is perhaps not possible to improve upon.
    Like I said, my goal is just 1/2moa with my reloads and hopefully a low SD/ES. If that goal can also correspond with cheaper than a buck a round, I am doing great.

Rifle and glass will out shoot me so this reloading venture means I shoot more, which is good. 308 barrels are cheap.

(Lancaster County)

Finally got back to the range today with a friend who I was helping sight in a AR he built.

So in between that, I snuck in three more charges

Found a good one Rifle still surprises me with how well it shoots.

And since this rabbit hole ain't ever gonna end... Time to chase SD/ES

This is why brakes on AR's are gay as hell and NJ can go to hell

(Chester County)

You're doing great! Just keep everybody informed....and remember that the worst day at the range is better than your best day working!!!!!!

The whole idea is to find the best reloads for YOUR RIFLE. FWIW, you're getting pretty close...

- bamboomaster

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, feel like I am making progress.

Gonna load up 20 rounds with the 41.5gr load and see how well they shoot.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Thanks, feel like I am making progress.

Gonna load up 20 rounds with the 41.5gr load and see how well they shoot.
    INDEED! But make sure you eat breakfast before you go to the range. While a hungrier dog fights harder, I don't know how that translates to shooters testing their reloads.
    - bamboomaster

(Lancaster County)

Got out to the range this evening with the chrono

Avg: 2618
    Hi: 2623
    Low: 2614
    SD: 3
    ES: 9

Load is 41.5gr IMR4064, 175gr TMK, CCI 200 primer, and neck sized only federal brass.

I will take it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast