Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: 308 Reloading Venture

If you settle on a powder and charge, make a dipper that puts a little under into the pan, and trickle the rest. Goes pretty fast. I have a rotating drum charger. Never came to like it. They can chew up propellants. Rather dip.

I have a six-die turret press out in the shop attached to the garage. I found a LEE single at a gun show for $20. I clamp it to my desk here in the house and love it.
    Went thru several low-priced electronic scales and gave up on them. My 1970 vintage Lyman M5 is reliable and preferred.

Welcome to the wonderful world of custom cartridge fun.

(Chester County)

Lots of great information from forum members.

Here's an affordable entry-level electronic scale that is accurate and won't break the bank:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/17...SABEgJQr_D_BwE

I use this as my back-up scale to periodically weigh the powder dispensed from a Lyman Gen6. Before you use the Frankford Arsenal scale, drop the pan that sits on top of the scale into tumbling media and let run for 3-4 hours - comes out nice and smooth and powder doesn't stick to it.

You've picked a great powder to start (IMR 4064) and bullets (Sierra 168's). About all you're missing is the Fed 210 GMM primers.

We long ago settled on 42.5 gr. IMR 4064, Sierra 175's, and the Fed 210 GMM primers to get the best load for our rifle. The brass doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference for us, whether Federal, Lapua, Lake City, Win, etc., although we do group the cases by head-stamp and then by weight.

Your rifle will let you know when you've found the right load.

The case gauge mentioned earlier by 762xIan is an absolute must too.

So is a little tool for deburring the INSIDE of your primer pocket.

There are many more things you can do to complicate already challenged days (like shooting groups 1/10" or smaller at 200 yds., OAL for your caliber-specific rifle, crimp that produces the most accuracy, etc), and I am confident that the many knowledgeable folks here will offer their points of view - just be sure that whatever is suggested actually works in your rifle.

The members here have had a great deal of experience about reloading similar caliber rounds that shoot well in their rifles. I really wouldn't want to be a deer somewhere downrange, especially since the PAFOA folks know what they're doing.

You're only gonna discover what's right for your rifle by rethinking, reloading, and testing your assumptions one round at a time. For many times - but when range folks ask if they can shoot your rifle at distance, you probably know you've figured things out - at least on this reload...

And just remember: The worst day shooting is better than the best day working...
    Last edited by bamboomaster; January 16th, 2018 at 10:46 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Yea, something to measure shoulder size is def on my list. As is a digital scale or chargemaster, cause this beam scale is getting old damn fast. Had to adjust the throw almost for every charge on the thrower.
    Get rid of the 4064, there are many powders that measure so much more consistent. I've punted all the 'big stick' powders that I used to use and have gone with ball (TAC etc) or short kernel (IMR 4320 etc). Or try shooting some of the thrown ones as is, you may find there isn't any difference in accuracy between the thrown ones and ones you've adjusted.

Have fun,

Dale

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    42.5 gr. IMR 4064, Sierra 175's
    Bolt or gas gun, best load across the board in any gun I've put it through.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Lancaster County)

I have no attachment to the imr4064, just was used frequently by the guys over on rifleshooter.com and that site was the inspiration for the rifle build and reloading venture.

Currently it will do 1/2 moa with federal match gold 168s. I would love to achieve that degree of shooting with home brew rounds and save money doing so

Ultimate goal would be seeing if the new Sierra matchking heavy pills will fit in mag and give a mile shot a run. Long way from that lol
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Bucks County)

I have no attachment to the imr4064, just was used frequently by the guys over on rifleshooter.com and that site was the inspiration for the rifle build and reloading venture.

Currently it will do 1/2 moa with federal match gold 168s. I would love to achieve that degree of shooting with home brew rounds and save money doing so

Ultimate goal would be seeing if the new Sierra matchking heavy pills will fit in mag and give a mile shot a run. Long way from that lol
    IMR4064 is the powder used in 308 FGMM 168s & 175s. Bullets are SMKs and the other components are presumably Federal.

(Lancaster County)

Bought a cheap digital scale that supposedly gives decent results. Gonna see how that corresponds with my beam scale when it comes in

(Bucks County)

If interested in putting xx# of bullets through the first hole, benchrest style, there's no reason to limit COAL to what the magazine will allow, unless it's a controlled feed and the extractor can't or shouldn't spring over the rim.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    If interested in putting xx# of bullets through the first hole, benchrest style, there's no reason to limit COAL to what the magazine will allow, unless it's a controlled feed and the extractor can't or shouldn't spring over the rim.
    I am just staying the realm of normal stuff, so book value for OAL, until I get a hang of reloading.

Wanted to get the basics down before trying to change 20 different variables and expecting a decent shooting gun.

(Lehigh County)

I am just staying the realm of normal stuff, so book value for OAL, until I get a hang of reloading.

Wanted to get the basics down before trying to change
    20 different variables and expecting a decent shooting gun.
    Sounds like a good approach. Learn to walk, then run, then dance!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast