Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default .44 mag reload questions

It has been quite a few years since I got it together to do some .44 mag reloading.

I bought 1K of 240 grain semi jacketed bullets ( I cannot find the info on what brand. IMI iirc). The profile is almost the same as my Speer except the base of the Speer is concave and the 1K are flat. Weight is very close doing a random choice.
    Diameter is the same .429
    I have used mostly 240gr Speer Magnum soft points (pre Gold Dots) to date with a trial of some semi wadcutters years ago.
    I have 3 pounds of W296 and a pound of IMR4227
    CCI 350 primers.
    I changed the media in the tumbler.

I scoured all my bags, buckets and range gear and found about 700 pieces of brass (RP--FC--WW-- and some MagTech CBC?)

About 250 of them were cleaned, sized/decapped but the primer pockets weren't cleaned, the brass wasn't trimmed or primers installed.

A couple questions.
    My RCBS hand trimmer is usually held in place with a 1/4" ratchet wrench and the cutting head is in a drill.
    I am having an issue with not being able to tighten the case holder enough to where the case doesn't roll out of the holder when the cutting edge bites into the brass.
    I have all the #11 case retainers for the trimmer, the autoprimer and the press for the .44 so the shell holders are the correct size.
    Any ideas as to why they don't lock in place? (worn perhaps)
    I'll be back in the garage tomorrow trying to figure out why or seeing if I can make it work.

Question # 2

I have been loading the 240gr Speer to max.
    The Speer manual I purchased with the Rock Chucker (1983) was manual number 10. (circa 1979) It listed the max load at 24.7gr of W296
    The Speer manual #14 that I got a couple years ago lists the max charge at 24.0 grains.
    Any ideas why the max charge may have been reduced from one manual to another?
    I will contact Speer to ask.

The new batch of bullets will be started at the beginning charge of 22grs.

An older NRA reload manual also listed the max charge for similar bullets (Sierra) at 24.7 grs
    I will eventually find the bullet receipt to get the manufacturer of the 1K I'm wanting to load.

Here is a pic of the bullets I have or have used.

2018-01-14_09-37-53 by poofy27, on Flickr
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: .44 mag reload questions

In regards to #1, I've never trimmed revolver brass, ever. I've loaded a s-pile of it over the years with no issues.

Number 2 could be numerous reasons. One being they have better methods of measuring pressure. Another is that the powder recipe or coating may have changed over the years as well as primers. I'm sure you know each firearm is different. But starting low and working up is always a good Idea as you stated. A lot of people will slowly work up loads that are over what the book recommends. I generally just grab the next biggest gun out of the line up and achieve the velocity desired with ease rather than pushing the smaller one to its limit.
    Last edited by pennlineman; January 15th, 2018 at 06:15 AM.

(Luzerne County)

I've been reloading for going on 27 years now and I've never, ever trimmed a piece of handgun brass.

I've also been reloading the .44 Magnum for just about the same number of years and my full power loads have always been 24.0 grains of H110 with 240 grain bullets (XTP's).

I tried trimming my .38 Spl cases for better consistency. Guess what? NO Improvement in accuracy at 50 yards. In fact, based on average group size, they were slightly worse.
    Back in the dawn of time, pressure was measured in ONE WAY only--compression of a copper slug. Now, we can see a trace of pressure vs time and see any pressure issues. So, a lot of old data was found to produce rounds that exceeded SAAMI pressure limits.
    Next, powder LOTS make a difference. The exact bullet can make a slight difference. A change in case or primer can make a small difference.
    For this reason, the safe reloader ALWAYS considers a new bullet as a totally new experience, checks a few data manuals/sources, and starts at the lowest starting load. That reloader may only load one or two cartridges at the lowest charges, but carefully inspect all cases for ANY pressure signs.
    Finally, by selecting 296/H110, you have the interesting issue that at low pressure, the powder doesn't always burn properly and can leave a semi-melted wad of powder in the barrel as a barrel obstruction. I never had this happen, but it is documented as happening.
    For this reason, many manuals have start loads very close to max loads, so normal load workup is not done.

(Allegheny County)

Gentlemen. Thanks for your input.
    My thoughts were to make sure all the brass was equal length due to having 4 different mfgs.
    My BIL had a .44 and sent his once fired brass my way.

The first 250 cases are cleaned and separated.
    I'll do a case length check of some of each to ensure they are relatively the same.

On a side note, I have 95 casings in .45 LC. Some have a blackened corrosion but most look to be serviceable.
    I'll check to see how many are corrosion free.
    I don't even remember how or where I got these.
    They are looking for a home and are free or will hit the yellow brass scrap bucket.
    Anyone having interest, I'll send them on my dime.

Thanks again.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Gentlemen. Thanks for your input.
    My thoughts were to make sure all the brass was equal length due to having 4 different mfgs.
    My BIL had a .44 and sent his once fired brass my way.

The first 250 cases are cleaned and separated.
    I'll do a case length check of some of each to ensure they are relatively the same.

On a side note, I have 95 casings in .45 LC. Some have a blackened corrosion but most look to be serviceable.
    I'll check to see how many are corrosion free.
    I don't even remember how or where I got these.
    They are looking for a home and are free or will hit the yellow brass scrap bucket.
    Anyone having interest, I'll send them on my dime.

Thanks again.
    I'd be happy to give that .45 Colt a home. Perhaps you could have save it until the group shoot?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    I'd be happy to give that .45 Colt a home. Perhaps you could have save it until the group shoot?
    It's yours.
    Group shoot would be fine.
    I'm making a reminder note on my calendar now.

(Allegheny County)

Hodgdon says 23.0 - 24.0 for a Nossler 240 gr JHP

https://u5125847.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/...mhctWLTQ-3D-3D

Most newer manuals have reduced powder charges compared to older manuals.

(Allegheny County)

OK. Here we go.

The 1000 bullets will likely become range rounds loaded at 23 gr of 4227 until thats used up.

Hunting rounds.
    Your input has me on the fence. I have only loaded Speer to date.

The original 4457's I loaded were boxed and listed as "Magnum Soft Points"
    This was water expansion in around 1984 or 5.
    2018-01-15_02-37-00 by poofy27, on Flickr

The newer version of this same round (also 4457)were simply called "Soft Points".
    I believe these were available before Gold Dot's.
    A few years back, I bought 100 Speer Soft Points numbered 4454 which look similar to the 4457's but less lead showing at the tip.

I think I'm going to load those to a max load (24.0 of 296) and they will be my hunting round unless they don't expand well.
    I know water is not the medium I should be using but I think it will give me a marginal idea of how they expand.

2018-01-14_09-38-22 by poofy27, on Flickr

So, after I plug one more doe in 2B ( Ha ) I'll get out to the range with these few trial loads and some water jugs and have at it.
    If the 4454's don't seem to expand, I will go to another round. I would probably try the XTP's that Steve has used.

Thanks again guys.

Now to get a set of .357 dies and start all over.
    The .41 mag, well, we'll see.

(Bucks County)

Here are some posts I recently made on loading the .357 with H-110 / W-297. Everything said applies to the .44 mag. W297 is a powder that should only be reduced by 3% or you can get squirrely pressures. Not sure how the new reloading books get buy with relatively light loads compared to even a few years ago. I would try the classic loads. There is some 44 mag loads (24.0 gr)with 296 in the Winchester loading manual I referenced but I am not sure what a 240 gr HST bullet is.

Re: Reloading the .357 Magnum

H110 / W296 is one of the few powders where you need an almost max charge or pressures get erratic. The old books all said start at max -3% (not 10%) and work up.

I didn't look up your loads but the 158 grain load seems a little light from what I remember. Find some published load data from at least 20 years ago (before lawyers took control), start at 3% under and have fun.

Here is a link to Winchesters 14th edition loadbook. You might want to save it as a PDF because most of their loads are wimpier now.

On page 48 there is the load for .357. It lists a load of 16.6 gr W296 (same as H-110) with a 158 gr JHP. But notice there is also an asterisk next to the load. On page 49 there is a note that loads for W296 should not be reduced and should be loaded exactly (not even -3%) or you could get DANGEROUS pressures. I settled on 16.7 grains (other old books went up to 17.0) and have been shooting it for years. I get 1200FPS out of a 6 inch S&W.

I do recall the SAAMI max pressure for 357 was petitioned to be reduced in the 90's. I think that was when everyone started putting 357's in small frame snub nosed revolvers. In order to not beat them up they made now underload ALL 357's. I would only shoot these older loads from a quality full sized revolver.

And I have no comment on how they used to say do not reduce the charge then started posting max charges 15% under.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...nchester14.pdf
    Last edited by Delkal; January 15th, 2018 at 04:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast