Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: .44 mag reload questions

One more post in the 357 thread that applies here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Somewhere I read that you should use loads from manuals and powders of the same time period because of changes in manufacturing. Heck lot to lot differences require working up loads over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Anything can happen but I think that is a myth. Why would you suddenly change the burning speed of a powder you were making over the last 25-50-75 years. The big reductions in loads came when they changed from CUP to PSI. Lawyers got nervous when they saw the real instantaneous pressures (PSI) vs the inferred pressures (CUP).

All of a sudden loads that were standard for decades were gelded. Then you add in the reloading manuals that group 5-6 different types of bullets and list one "Max" load (Hornady) and back off on any cartridges that one firearms manufacturer produced (at any time) with a tight chamber or shorter throat (7mm Mag).

Today you need to work up and shoot over a Chrony for a reality check. I have loaded some "max" loads (from the new books) for my 7mm Mag that chrony 300-400 fps slower than I was supposed to be getting (with the proper burning rate powder). Loading to the older book loads I get the velocity the round is supposed to be with no pressure signs.

But this load is so many grains over what the latest Hornady book lists today I dare not mention it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    It's yours.
    Group shoot would be fine.
    I'm making a reminder note on my calendar now.
    Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Oh boy.
    I loaded 30 rounds to test fire next range trip.

I have 664 cases cleaned, resized / decapped, primer pockets cleaned.
    I have an RCBS primer pocket cleaner and found it leaves primer residue in the bottom corner in almost every case.
    I've been using a hunting license pin to run around the inside of the pocket. Works well. Any recommendations on one that doesn't require 2 steps?
    I had picked up a new Lee auto prime a while back but hadn't used it before. It seats the primer quite a bit lower than the old one did.
    Speer book 14 states they should be 3 to 5 tbousanths lower than the base. Older auto primer seated them just below flush.
    Seems lower.

Probly run these next week.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Chester County)

Just another source (but from Nosler) about reloading data for their 240's that you may find interesting. The link pops up the data for their 200 gr bullets - just click on 240 gr at the top of the page to see the data for their 240's...

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-da...ton-magnum-hg/

I used their 200 gr load data for the "most accurate powder tested" because I had picked up at auction quite a few unopened boxes of their 200 gr bullets at a crazy low price...
    Last edited by bamboomaster; January 21st, 2018 at 07:33 AM.
    - bamboomaster

The primer pocket is not that critical. I wouldn't bother cleaning what the cleaner leaves behind. Also the only problem I have ever had with primers is not seating them enough. It would take two strikes to set them off. As long as you aren't crushing them they should be good. If this was a precision rifle round and you were shooting 800 yards then it might matter. .44 mag I don't think you could see the difference.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Clarion County)

Best way I've found to thoroughly clean pockets is wet tumbling with stainless steel media. Requires old primer removal first. Even then on a few of them I may need to use a q tip to clean out pocket before it dries. In reality I only do that for hunting loads.
    Old time tip for pocket cleaning. Strip a 1/4" of off 12 gauge stranded wire, cut about 1" long, chuck in dremel. Use fine stranded wire. Keep a few on hand and change when needed. I notice most of the newer case prep machines being marketed use a wire brush.
    Last edited by cephas; January 21st, 2018 at 10:42 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Allegheny County)

Gentlemen. Thank you all for your input.

I have some semi wadcuters and some hollow points. I have loaded those years ago to max which was 24.7gr in book 10. With the new book and info, I'll load up a dozen each at 24.0 grs and see what happens.

Hopefully, I'll get to the range this week or next after I do another run of jerky and a 16 qt pot of chili.

Think I'll go downstairs, grab a few slim jims and a can of Moat beer and think about getting into my tree this week. Last week for 2B doe.

(Warren County)

ASSuming you are shooting out of a pistol.....

Ditto on primer cleaning and case trimming.

Your accuracy is mostly dependent on forearm strength, flinch resistance, and a great trigger pull.

It's a 5-8" sight radius, held at arms length.

Focus on the elephant in the room, and don't sweat the stuff that affects a fraction of a percentage of the accuracy equation.

Or I am full of crap. You choose.
    Last edited by markshere2; January 21st, 2018 at 11:13 PM.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

I have a few boxes of different .44 bullets I would like to load just to use them up.
    I have some Sierra 180 gr JHC
    I've found a few loadings but would like to know if anyone has a Sierra load book to verify I can use IMR4227 between 24.8 gr minimum through 27.2 gr as a max load.
    My firearm is a 7 1/2" Redhawk.

I found some discontinued Speer 4447 bullets. Semi jacked semiwadcutters I loaded with 23grs of W296.
    This is a good load and previous loadings were at 24.7 gr of 296 as per Speer #10.

I also found some 240 gr Speer HP and have loaded them max quite a few years ago with no issue.

Thanks for any info.
    I couldn't link Sierra's manual

(Clarion County)

Sierra has a toll free number to their techs. Have used it several times over the years and found them very helpful with data.
    "FREE Technical Support - 800-223-8799
    (Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. CST)"
    https://www.sierrabullets.com/ask-sierra/
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast