Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: BEHOLD this reloading difference

Quote Originally Posted by RBELARDI View Post
    I have a non related not so funny primer story. I was reloading 300 SAUM, brand new virgin brass and I was using my RCBS primer tool. After resizing I primed all of my brass and was in the process of loading powder into all of the primed cases to which as the next load is dispensing I put the filled case into the Rock chucker and press the head on. Well when I picked up the case I noticed that the primer wasn't fully seated. So I went back to the primer tool and put the primed case back into the tool and squeezed and "POP" the primer went off.

I didn't squeeze it fast or any different then if I was seating a normal primer. But it was extremely loud in my closet sized reloading room and after I processed what happened I saw the black specks of burnt powder on my freshly painted white walls.

What really scared me is that (I'm being honest here so no bashing) I know that if I had found that unseated primer when the bullet was loaded I prob. would have done the same thing . . .

And that would have been a real problem.

I'm chalking it up to someone was watching out for me and taught me a good lesson.
    While a detonation is never wanted, I wouldn't be too concern about a bullet head being on at the time of detonation. Certainly a loud bang and some smoke, but without a chamber to build pressure, the projectile wouldn't be moving all that fast. I'd be more concerned about open powder containers igniting as a result. Regardless, glad you're okay and the lesson is learned.

Generally, when something is amiss with a round, I break it down and start fresh. The extra 5 minutes it takes isn't worth setting your house on fire.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Bucks County)

Propellant ignited and forming enough pressure to defeat the tension, sending the bullet outward, is going to have lateral dispersal between the case mouth and the airborne bullet's base, at a velocity and containing particles that an exposed hand, arm and eyes would likely suffer some degree of trauma. On the described primer situation, I might pull the bullet with a collet puller, but certainly not with an inertia hammer. If not able to use a collet, I'd crush the middle of the case and trash it. I'd also consider drilling a hole and emptying it then trashing it.

For all who think totally dry Pledge or Behold will have a negative effect on my primers, if that happens, I will be sure to report it. I will also report having no problems.
    Any bets $$$$ ?
    Last edited by Bang; January 15th, 2018 at 06:20 PM.

(Delaware County)

Is drilling a hole in a loaded round dangerous?
    With the heat and all?

(Bucks County)

It's brass....they used brass tools in mines because it generates no spark. The heat generated by a drill is controllable...cool it with a wet cloth. I wouldn't be afraid to do it, but I can see where some would say no way.

(Delaware County)

Worth a try, keep the heat down, oil the bit.

(Bucks County)

So far, have fired a few hundred pistol rounds with primers hand-loaded through the now-dry Pledge-lubed RCBS hand primer. All performed well.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    So far, have fired a few hundred pistol rounds with primers hand-loaded through the now-dry Pledge-lubed RCBS hand primer. All performed well.
    OK, but we still need a U-Tube!!!!
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

I got rid of my sex toys years ago.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I have an RCBS hand-operated priming tool that has been great. My primers are usually CCI. Ran out and reached for Winchester WSPs I had on a shelf.

Started having trouble with the RCBS tool almost immediately. Feeding the primers thru the tool, it seemed like the over-all dimensions, or the finish of the WSPs, were different from CCIs. WSPs were binding on each other as they entered the feed tube part of the tool, creating all sorts of mischief.

I filed the interior of the white plastic feed tube (actually rectangular in cross section) slightly after thoroughly cleaning it, but it didn't help.

Then hit on an idea. With a Q-Tip, I applied BEHOLD to the feed area, and to the clear cover of the primer holder near where the feed bunching was happening.

BINGO! Problem fixed. (I'm sure PLEDGE would work the same). These products make great "dry lubricators".
    I'd find some dry graphite or motor mica before I used anything liquid.

Primers are funny - you can mess 'em up real easy without trying too hard.

(Bucks County)

I keep trying to get it across that the Behold dries very rapidly, and I polish it with a dry cloth and the resulting lubrication IS NOT A LIQUID. Don't know how else to share it. Done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12