Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold bluing

Question Cold bluing

I've watched several videos and read some articles but still undecided. I bought a Tradition's DIY kit for a wall hanger.
    So far I'm leaning to Brownells oxpho-blue.

Who here has done this and what did you use?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Cold bluing

P89, Are you planning on doing a full re-blue or touchup?

I've used Birchwood Casey Super Blue for touchup and I'm satisfied but it's no where near hot blueing.

Using Birchwood Casey you first clean the area with denatured alcohol, put on the cold blue with a cotton swab, wait 10 seconds, clean off with a wet cloth and then use 0000 still wool to polish.

Be carful to not leave it on for more than 10 seconds or surface rust will form also be sure to get every last drop off of cold blue off or the next time you use your gun those areas will be fully rusted(TRUST ME).

Try testing things on a piece of carbon steel you don't care about. Finally, if you screw something up use Fitz polish to remove your mistake(s) and start over.

Show us how you make out.

Best,

Kobsw

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I've watched several videos and read some articles but still undecided. I bought a Tradition's DIY kit for a wall hanger.
    So far I'm leaning to Brownells oxpho-blue.

Who here has done this and what did you use?
    I have pretty much used them all and while Black Oxide is my permanent go to for entire rifles the Oxopho-blue is the best cold blue out there on the market for touch up to larger projects. I had a lot of before and after larger project pictures using Oxopho-Blu but because of how shitty Photobucket is now there is no easy way to share them. The most important part is how you prepare the surface area you are going to reblue, poor prep work and you end up with a poor bluing.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 14th, 2018 at 06:21 PM.

You have the adantage of having your kit come "in the white". I had pretty good success with the Birchwood Casey kit, but have heard the Oxpho Blue is the cat's ass. The good thing is if it turns out like shit, you can remove the bluing and try it again. Are you friendly with any shops that have hot tanks? I know that takes away from the "project" but it works so much better.

This is the kit I got...didn't pay that for it.
    After seeing the quality I'd be pissed if I paid that.
    https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...cal-Percussion

I'd hot tank it but his is basically a decoration that may get used at some point.
    I have another smoke pole for hunting.

It will be a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    It will be a fun project.
    So far it has made me get a new Dremel tool. The fit is lacking and the trigger guard is crooked in the stock and someone stopped short with the router.
    I expected to sand a little but there's a good 3/16" of wood the protrudes past the butt plate.
    Gives me something to do when I'm not plowing snow.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    So far it has made me get a new Dremel tool. The fit is lacking and the trigger guard is crooked in the stock and someone stopped short with the router.
    I expected to sand a little but there's a good 3/16" of wood the protrudes past the butt plate.
    Gives me something to do when I'm not plowing snow.
    My buddy builds them from stock blanks, so I have no sympathy for you! LOL He recently told me of a kit builder who is using some type of CNC machine to make stocks that are literally "drop in" ready. They are not cheap though. Upwards of $1000 plus

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/pages/about-us
    Last edited by ar15jules; January 14th, 2018 at 08:28 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I swear by Oxpho Blue - none better. I have tried a few others, Vans was one that was always at gun shows, total crap. Oxpho blue gives amazing results - you won't be disappointed. I just re-stocked mine from Brownell's - I always have some on hand. I have done many guns, from total bluing loss to muzzle touch ups.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

I picked up a Ballestar Molina a few years back with almost total finish loss. I picked up a cheapy Iver Johnson because I liked the looks and nice grips. Couple swipes of Oxpho - here's what it did ( I use just a rag, and 0000 steel wool if there's any light rust, etc. Several have said 0000 is a no-no because it scratches the finish but I've never had any issues :

I don't normally do full cold blue projects like this, mainly do touch ups - but either way !
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast