Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Erie County)

Default Re: How to mount an optical sight on my 1911

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    If you wear reading glasses then the iron sights are useless. They front and rear all blend into one fuzzy, hazzy blob. Can the stock dovetail be used to mount a sight?
    I don't have that problem,I took a handgun with me to my eye exam to have my optometrist make me a set of eyeglasses that i could use for shooting. I was lucky as it turned out that my reading glasses were the same as my shooting glasses.

Another thing to consider is having your optometrist grind your prescription vertically next to the nose piece of your glasses so that you do not have to tip your head back if you wear bifocals like i do.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    I don't have that problem,I took a handgun with me to my eye exam to have my optometrist make me a set of eyeglasses that i could use for shooting. I was lucky as it turned out that my reading glasses were the same as my shooting glasses.

Another thing to consider is having your optometrist grind your prescription vertically next to the nose piece of your glasses so that you do not have to tip your head back if you wear bifocals like i do.
    I have heard of this solution. So they can make lenses that bring the rear sight, the front sight and the target all in sharp focus at the same time? I am not a physicist but I am sure some physics principle is being violated here. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

(Lehigh County)

In my desk, I have one of those mounts that replaces the left grip. Always worked fine, no need to modify the pistol at all. Mount is picatinny so you can simply change out optics till you find the one that works for you.If you think about it, this type of mount isn't subject to the level of recoil stress that a slide-mounted optic would endure. Also, you can still use the iron sights. Just another idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123