Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: How to mount an optical sight on my 1911

Vice, lead/leather covers for the jaws, hammer, brass punch OR sight tool from brownells.

Just put a green laser on it. So much easier. So much faster. No holster problems.

Try out the options before you commit so you know what you will end up with.

I smashed mine between two blocks of wood in my vice and tapped it out with a brass punch.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

I checked the dovetail. It is the right width but the lip is pretty thin. Would it hold? The dovetails I have seen even have a groove. This one obviously wasn't designed to accept a rail. Assuming I can get the rear sight off, what optic sight that would fit would you recommend? A red dot, preferrably under $100, would do.

(Berks County)

Under $100 dot won't take the bashing of slide mounting. That's why in the beginning they were rigged to the frame. It's also why the new ones are $500. They can hold up.

(Montgomery County)

That sounds like a good excuse to trade it in for a new one.

I'm with G&W on this one!
    Green laser grips. Cheaper and easier to use. I have two including a Crimson Trace on my XDs. They have never failed regardless of both hot and cold temps and the pounding of a semi pistol.
    The 1911 grip laser from Crimson Trace isn't noticeable. You see nothing hanging on or off the classic lines of a 1911. But when it's turned on, all you have to do is grip the gun and the laser turns on. Point to target and go bang.
    CTGrips.jpg
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    I'm with G&W on this one!
    Green laser grips. Cheaper and easier to use. I have two including a Crimson Trace on my XDs. They have never failed regardless of both hot and cold temps and the pounding of a semi pistol.
    The 1911 grip laser from Crimson Trace isn't noticeable. You see nothing hanging on or off the classic lines of a 1911. But when it's turned on, all you have to do is grip the gun and the laser turns on. Point to target and go bang.
    CTGrips.jpg
    Well, $300+ is a little steep for a $500 gun but found Hogue laser grips for $150. Now that's more like it unless there is a catch. Now, red or green?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Well, $300+ is a little steep for a $500 gun but found Hogue laser grips for $150. Now that's more like it unless there is a catch. Now, red or green?
    Consider this before you jump at the laser solution, my own experience with red (Crimson Trace) lasers is exactly as Crimson Trace describes in their FAQ below (emphasis is mine):

"HOW FAR IS THE LASER VISIBLE?

Crimson Trace has the most powerful beam allowed by law, a Class 3R visible light diode. At night, in reduced light, and indoors, the laser is highly visible up to several hundred yards. Under bright sunlight, the dot can be seen up to 15-25 feet away. Lighter-colored surfaces reflect laser light better than darker surfaces. The lighter the surface, the brighter the laser dot will appear."

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A RED LASER AND A GREEN LASER?

A red laser is highly visible in low light. The output peak for both lasers is the same yet the human eye naturally detects the color green, hence the green laser appearing brighter in natural bright day light. Both the green and red laser Crimson Trace produces emit the maximum output allowed by law – a Class 3R laser.

Stay away from the Hogue grips. Online reviews suggest they are problematic with the masses.
    Stay with Crimson Trace for quality. Remember........you want a solution that is "almost" as dependable as a set of sites which are in all reality, pretty much idiot proof reliable.

Next, go green laser only! NOT RED!

Even in home defense use, the red laser can wash out in bright light and much more so if you have old eyes. Green is incredibly visible in all light conditions for quite a ways. Remember that your not shooting 100 yards with your 1911!
    Using the grip laser also affords NOT having to remove the factory sites. Unlike a red dot that requires removal of the rear site, with the grip laser, you have two site options on your gun!
    Again, you want an option that replaces your sites. Go Crimson Trace and go green! 300 bucks is a good price for something that will give you the confidence to use it. I have a lot of guns that the optics are more expensive than what it's attached to. That laser won't lose too much value either so if you decide to sell, you can get back bucks for a good 1911 with a Crimson Trace on it.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Boo Vuccla; January 15th, 2018 at 09:21 AM.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Monroe County)

i've been using a cheapo dovetail mount from amazon on my springfield gi since i didn't want to spend the money milling my slide for better sights. it's worked out pretty well, better than i hoped for. i've heard of red dots going flying because of the recoil but this little thing has been rock solid. i'm impressed for $20. Here is the link to the dovetail plate mount i purchased https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it's for a gi rear sight. you will need to find the type of rear sight you have and buy the proper plate.

As far as red dots, $100 is probably not going to do it. i've had good luck with the vortex venom and viper series both can be had for ~$170 on sale. the burris fast fire iii also worked for me but i have only used this model on 9mm handguns.

The dovetail mount does cause the red dot to sit high and it takes me longer to acquire the dot, ymmv. I do not use this method for anything other than as a novelty for the range. If I was going to carry with a red dot or use for HD, I would get the slide milled properly and use a RMR.

Also as a side note, Kimber is releasing an optics ready line of 1911s. the price seems reasonable, $1000-1200 MSRP. http://www.kimberamerica.com/khx-custom-or-2
    If you’re on the side that says kimbers are awesome then this may be an option for you. If you’re on the Kimber sucks side, then sorry I mentioned it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast