Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default No lock boxes at Luzerne County

Went today to renew my LTCF and there are NO lockboxes for weapons at either the courthouse OR the Sheriffs Annex across the street ( where you have to go now to renew ) unless you are LEO...

Had to leave gun in car ( which I didnt like to do... but............)

Who is the best one to contact concerning this ??
    Last edited by schr8er2000; September 22nd, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Default Re: No lock boxes at Luzerne County

I'd check with the sheriff's office as they are in charge of courthouse security.
    Also maybe president judge and county commissioners.

OOOOps, just noticed this was Luzerne Co. Sheriff Savokinas. Hmmmm thought all that was taken care of recently by Rich. Link
    Last edited by HiredGoon; September 22nd, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

(Indiana County)

If the Sheriff's Annex is in a separate building from the court facilities, there would be no need for lockboxes. You could carry.

(Luzerne County)

The Annex IS a seprate building,,, but still cant carry in there according to the guard at the door, and the lockboxes are for LEO's ONLY

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    The Annex IS a seprate building,,, but still cant carry in there according to the guard at the door, and the lockboxes are for LEO's ONLY
    From the thread link I posted earlier:

"Anyway, so yesterday I was OC'ing also, as usual (when not at work), and met the security guard at the entrance to the sheriff's entrance and informed him first thing that I needed to check my sidearm.
    Security: "Are you an officer?"
    Me: "No, sir, I am not in law enforcement".
    Security: "Why do you carry a firearm like that?"
    Me: (with a smile) "I carry a firearm every day."
    Security: "Ok, you'll need to secure it in the locker over there." Pointing to the stack of 3 lockers atop the x-ray belt.
    Me: "Thanks", ...I then made my way to the side of the vestibule where the lockers were.
    Security: "Top one is empty..."
    I carefully, deliberately and safely unholstered from my SERPA holster while facing the locker and placed G23 slowly and directly in lockbox."

Seems like it depends on which guard is there

(Luzerne County)

Was this in Wilkes Barre?

§913. Possession of Firearm or Other Dangerous Weapon in Court Facility.

(5) The carrying of a dangerous weapon or firearm unloaded and in a secure wrapper by an attorney who seeks to employ the dangerous weapon or firearm as an exhibit or as a demonstration and who possesses written authorization from the court to bring the dangerous weapon or firearm into the court facility. (Added by L.1995, Act 66(2), eff. 11/22/95.)

(d) Posting of notice.—Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility anti at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).

(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.—Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d). (Chgd. by L.1999, Act 59, eff 2/15/00.)
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    If the Sheriff's Annex is in a separate building from the court facilities, there would be no need for lockboxes. You could carry.
    I do not believe this is entirely correct. It fits the definition of being a "Court Facility" as listed below.

Be safe.

Scott

(f) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Court facility." The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a magisterial district judge; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge's chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.

(Luzerne County)

There are lock boxes at the county courthouse. I haven't used the main entrance in a while, but they used to be right behind the metal detector.

I use the entrance on the Pierce Street side and I know there are lock boxes in place as I used them a few weeks ago when I had a trial. These boxes are before the metal detector.

I don't know about the annex. I've never seen anything about them for being LEO only.

(Luzerne County)

I am aware of this issue.

Firstly, the problem is with the security company, not the sheriff's office.

The Luzerne County court system utilizes a third party private security company.

This company is informing it's "employees" that only LEO can use the lockboxes.

It does depend on which guard you get, some have been educated (by me). And I was always allowed to use the boxes, but only after pointing out that 18Pa.C.S.913 mandated the boxes for those people carrying in accordance with 6106 and 6109.

This has been on the side burner due to my illness, etc, but is being worked on by myself, in conjuction with the sheriff, to ensure the issue is resolved.

I will update later.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Indiana County)

Sorry, I stand corrected on my previous comments.

But, being a separate building means that storage facilities are required there, too.

Time for someone to raise Cain with the County Commissioners or Court Administrator.