Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Perry County)

Default Re: New Mexico Governor wants to make cops like Drudge Dredd- Full Immunity!

Always two edges to these swords.

On one hand, it will give a level of immunity to those officers that shouldn't have it.

On the other, it will keep municipalities from being sued by idiots that get injured due to their actions then turn around and sue for those injuries. Too many of them are paid off because it's cheaper than a full trial.

I doubt it will work because the lawsuit will be an argument whether the officer followed his training or not.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Default Re: New Mexico Governor wants to make cops like Drudge Dredd- Full Immunity!

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    " I was just following orders", didn't work at the Nuremberg trials.
    You are an alert thinker!!

Rep sent!
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member! Same sex marriage is an oxymoron!

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Judges are immune when innocent people are found guilty and do long stretches in prison. They are also immune when the guilty are found not guilty and go out and kill someone a week later. And there isn't always a jury to blame.
    Why would anybody think a judge is guilty if a dirt bag murders somebody as noted above?

Devils Advocate
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member! Same sex marriage is an oxymoron!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Everything that cops do will always be considered "following training" or "using experience" to justify their actions, no matter how horrible their actions may be.
    I read these “talking points” somewhere in some other thread. Perhaps it was posted by dean... can’t recall. Nevertheless, broad-brush comments, such as these, are only relevant for ‘death and taxes’.

(Berks County)

Governor Susana Martinez's bill would shield officers who fail to comply with police orders but would not protect officers who do not obey orders or break from training, according to the Albuquerque Journal.

What is the difference between fail to comply with police orders and do not obey orders?

(Bucks County)

I'd agree with this as long as the minute it's found that a cop did something dirty, he gets his life ass-raped just as bad as the people they screw over when they screw up! Oh, and EVERY cop around them who knew, or should have known about the bad cop, gets screwed too!
    I had a thought last night while watching that show 911.theres a character, black, female, Sergeant. She found out her husband is gay and now she's just a royal, jaw-jutting, angry , miserable bitch. With her for a wife, no wonder hes gay!
    Anyway, wife was watching this, and I was on my iPad, and catching that mindless drivel in the background. Then the thought hit me.
    Old man Reedman used to have a policy in all his shops, or , at least it was rumored to be so, and the fact that he was ALWAYS hiring sort of confirmed the rumor. Every month, every one of his shops would hold a vote, secret ballot, to decide who was the least worthy to keep his job. The guy with the most votes would find himself outside looking for a job unless Reedman really liked him, or he was a solid producer.
    So, how about every six months, secret ballot , in each department, vote out the crookedest cop? It would certainly make everyone else straighten up and fly right pretty quickly. Oh, and to ensure that everyone voted, and didn't just turn in a blank piece of paper, fire anyone who gets caught not voting.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    " I was just following orders", didn't work at the Nuremberg trials.
    Seems to work for LEOs at all levels in the USA.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New Mexico Governor wants to make cops like Judge Dredd- Full Immunity!

This is proposed STATE legislation. Most lawsuits against police are brought under Section 1983, which is a federal law. State law cannot supersede federal law and, therefore, this legislation would have no impact on civil rights lawsuits against police. The only impact this could have is on lawsuits brought pursuant to any NM state civil rights law. I don’t know if NM has such a law, Pennsylvania does not.

(York County)

Honestly, this one's a pickle. Not even just this particular legislation, but the concept.

• Do I think MOST cops are decent folks trying to protect & serve? Yeah, I know many of 'em.
    • Do I think there are bad cops out there, power-drunk, nuts or whatever? Hell yeah, I've known a couple of those too (my own cousin, e.g. who -thankfully- was drummed out).
    • Do I think good cops get caught up in such lawsuits for no real/good reason, often having their lives & careers ruined? Yep.
    • Do I think some such lawsuits sometimes target bad cops and are a 'last resort' for departments didn't purge on their own those who deserve it? Yeah.

I don't have an answer. You shelter the good cops from wrongful lawsuits (and thereby help other good cops who don't have to second-guess everything) that's good. You will also inevitably shelter psycho bad cops in doing so.

What's the greater good? Do we force our good cops to worry constantly about 'what if' and some of them have their lives ruined by unmerited suits in the spirit of "not even one bad cop gets past?" OR do we adopt a 'not letting one bad apple spoil the barrel' attitude and protect the good cops knowing we'll cover some jackholes too?
    DGAF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12