Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    You can never have too many options
    Not true. For details as to why:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schw...adox_of_choice

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Gun in the truck/car?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that action would constitute Defiant Trespass. I'm sure one of our forum legal eagles can confirm or refute this.
    Being in and outside of a hospital in Philadelphia, Id take my chances.
    Im not a lawyer, but I think its only trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that action would constitute Defiant Trespass. I'm sure one of our forum legal eagles can confirm or refute this.
    It could, especially if you refused to leave.

It's my understanding that it's rarely persued if you comply with their request to do so.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by flejl View Post
    Unfortunately I have had the need to lock my CCW in my vehicle while taking my wife for doctor visits and treatments in Philly...

My preference is not to do this, but the hospital has a no firearm policy and due to the health issues I need to take my wife to this hospital, the alternative would not be good.

Most of the time, I elect to go in with no CCW, but there are other times like the night we had to drive through North Philly between 1-2AM because the NE Turnpike was shutdown and my wife was wheel chair bound, mentally was close to giving up, and I just needed to get her home to keep her going...

The choices are not always simple or easy, hopefully nobody else here has to or has had to face a situation like that.
    If a firearm is secured in the vehicle 24/7 how quickly can you get it into action? - Not to forget small safes are not too secure so a bit of work at 2 am and they have it.. or if they take the whole vehicle they have it.
    If it is not SECURED you risk a quick meth head snatch and grab - ME I don't want some punk ass snatch and grab person running around with MY firearm.

I have a small metal, with metal lock pistol safe HIDDEN in my vehicles. If I need to go into a gun free area, I follow the Federal Transportation of Firearms act.. separate ammo and firearm, locking firearm in hidden safe. But only for as long as I am in the gun free zone.. then it goes back on my hip and at home it is either on my hip or secured.

Secured being a relevant word because if someone REALLY wants something they can take something.. my security prevents kids and fast snatch and grabs.. probably take a good 10-15 minutes for someone trying to get past most of my secured places.. safe might take a bit long.. sure if they stole the whole car, but none of mine are really that nice that someone would take the time to steal them unless I left the keys inside
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Im not a lawyer, but I think its only trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked.
    Not all Hospital locations are equal. You are painting with a very broad brush. There is a huge difference between Temple Hospital in North Philadelphia and Chestnut Hill Hospital in Northwest Philadelphaj. Episcopal Hospital in East and Jefferson Hospital in Center City. Location Matters.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't think that those other hospitals have their own police forces as Temple does lol.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    It could, especially if you refused to leave.

It's my understanding that it's rarely persued if you comply with their request to do so.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of with you guys on this. But for information purposes: If there are No Firearms/No Weapons signs and you purposely ignore those signs and proceed to carry a firearm onto the property you are in Defiant Trespass. If you are caught then you may be arrested (probably a rare occurrence), asked to leave, or leave and return without your firearm. The question is are you willing to risk the possibility of being charged and in turn possibly losing your LTCF (character/reputation clause)?

"In Pennsylvania, you can face defiant trespasser charges if, knowing you are not licensed or privileged to do so you enter or remain in any place where notice against trespassing has been given by:

• Being told to leave.
    • Postings that are legal and would likely come to your attention.
    • Fencing or other enclosures designed to exclude intruders.
    • Postings at each entrance on a school ground that say unauthorized visitors are prohibited.
    • Being told to leave a school or its grounds by a program official, employee or police officer.

Depending on the circumstances, the charges for criminal trespass can range from a misdemeanor to a summary offense."
    Last edited by Hawk; January 29th, 2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Northampton County)

My understanding is if a place of business posts a "no firearms sign", then you cannot bring one in without the risk of an unwanted outcome (arrest).
    With that said, the least bad path has been to lock the weapon inside my vehicle that is in the basement parking garage. Since the garage has a guard posted at the entrance/exit, the risk of an unpleasant encounter in the parking are is lower. Once you get the floors with people, there are signs and in some cases metal detectors.

Since my wife would not be here today without the treatment she received there, I do not want to name the hospital, but any ideas on how to better conceal the weapon are appreciated.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567