Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Transporting by train

Transporting guns when traveling by airplane is simple enough in most cases. I've done it many times myself, you have the guns unloaded and locked in a hard sided case in your check in baggage and at check in you declare that you're transporting firearms and you sign this card that says they're unloaded which goes in your check in baggage that has the guns. You then proceed to your gate, go through all the security screening, board your plane, take off, land at your destination, get off the plane, and retrieve your check in baggage with the guns. It used to be you would go to the baggage carousel but recently they started doing it so that you have to go to a special counter or office to retrieve your baggage with the guns. I actually like the new way better, it beats eagerly standing by the carousel and waiting to see your bag on the belt and hoping it wasn't lost or stolen. Anyway, I was wondering about transporting guns by train? I've taken long distance trains a bunch of times. Sometimes I've taken a train from NJ to Orlando and sometimes I've taken a train across the country to CA. From my experience, when you get on a train you don't go through screening like you do if you get on a plane. They don't search your bags or put them through x-ray machines and you don't go through any metal detectors and whatnot. It seems to me that anybody could bring a bag containing a gun onto a train and nobody would know about it. It figures, somebody could even board the train while carrying a loaded concealed gun on their person. Anybody have experience with this? Although I've taken some long distance train trips I've never brought guns when I did it.

Default Re: Transporting by train

I believe Amtrak now allows firearms to be checked in much as you would for a plane. Be cautious of the route, and stops along the way.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I believe Amtrak now allows firearms to be checked in much as you would for a plane. Be cautious of the route, and stops along the way.
    ^^^ This ^^^

I would check the carriers' web sites.

(Schuylkill County)

Well whats to stop somebody from just boarding the train with a gun in their suitcase, or for that matter boarding with a loaded gun concealed on their person? From my experience, they don't search you or have you go through metal detectors or scan your bags when you get on a train.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Well whats to stop somebody from just boarding the train with a gun in their suitcase, or for that matter boarding with a loaded gun concealed on their person? From my experience, they don't search you or have you go through metal detectors or scan your bags when you get on a train.

Federal law?
    Last edited by God's Country; January 12th, 2018 at 10:23 PM.

(Delaware County)

Federal law?

You must be on a train that accepts checked baggage. No carry on baggage containing any type of firearm is allowed. This will somewhat limit your choices of trains. Remember, if for some reason your train is cancelled in NJ, you may be spending the night in a jail cell. Just remember some of the trains heading out west do so via NYC, which means you will have to deal with NYC and possibly NJ if something were to cancel your train ride. Going south shouldn't be a problem. Most of the trains going south of DC will have checked baggage.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Ummm yeah. Apparently I didn't realize the real topic was how to subvert the law. Against forum rules BTW.

My bad.

(Schuylkill County)

Ummm yeah. Apparently I didn't realize the real topic was how to subvert the law. Against forum rules BTW.

My bad.
    I wouldn't carry a gun on a train if its illegal, but that doesn't mean a criminal wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    I wouldn't carry a gun on a train if its illegal, but that doesn't mean a criminal wouldn't.
    No shit. What's your point?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast