Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Transporting by train

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Ummm yeah. Apparently I didn't realize the real topic was how to subvert the law. Against forum rules BTW.

My bad.
    To be clear:

My reaction was to the idea that federal law is only *slightly* more effective than "No Guns" signs at keeping guns off trains.

(Berks County)

I have never seen "no atomic bomb" signs anywhere, is it ok to take them everywhere? What about dead monkies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Ummm yeah. Apparently I didn't realize the real topic was how to subvert the law. Against forum rules BTW.

My bad.

Old timer the air must be thin up their in God's Country. I recommend 51 mg's of sarcasm daily!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Old timer the air must be thin up their in God's Country. I recommend 51 mg's of sarcasm daily!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    To be clear:

My reaction was to the idea that federal law is only *slightly* more effective than "No Guns" signs at keeping guns off trains.
    I was referring to the OP, not your post.
    Apparently the OP was more interested in his chances of getting away with carrying rather than checking his gun.

I understood the humor in your post.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    You must be on a train that accepts checked baggage. No carry on baggage containing any type of firearm is allowed. This will somewhat limit your choices of trains. Remember, if for some reason your train is cancelled in NJ, you may be spending the night in a jail cell. Just remember some of the trains heading out west do so via NYC, which means you will have to deal with NYC and possibly NJ if something were to cancel your train ride. Going south shouldn't be a problem. Most of the trains going south of DC will have checked baggage.

Good Luck!
    Just to add to this information, I recently helped a friend look into it and found that there is no legal way to bring your firearms to FL on the Auto Train, as they do not accept checked baggage.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    Just to add to this information, I recently helped a friend look into it and found that there is no legal way to bring your firearms to FL on the Auto Train, as they do not accept checked baggage.
    What about locked in your trunk under FOPA?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Schuylkill County)

No shit. What's your point?
    I wanted to know how to legally transport guns when you're traveling by train. I was sure that train companies might have policies against guns on the train but I didn't know that there were laws against it. Now that you pointed out that its against federal law I know you can't bring a gun on the train, legally. As its been said in this thread, you have to have it in your check in baggage if the train accepts check in baggage and so my question has been answered.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    What about locked in your trunk under FOPA?
    You got a point there, if you can bring your car along. They do have train trips where you can bring your car, they park your car in a special train car, give it a number, and when you arrive at your destination they drive your car out in a parking lot and you pick it up when they call your number. However, if you are going to have guns in your car you want it somewhere that cannot be accessed with the car keys since you will be turning your car keys over and somebody else will be driving and parking your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    You got a point there, if you can bring your car along. They do have train trips where you can bring your car, they park your car in a special train car, give it a number, and when you arrive at your destination they drive your car out in a parking lot and you pick it up when they call your number. However, if you are going to have guns in your car you want it somewhere that cannot be accessed with the car keys since you will be turning your car keys over and somebody else will be driving and parking your car.
    This is one reason I have a lock box mounted in my trunk(bolted through the body) with a separate key.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

The one issue with Amtrak is that the railroad is considered Federal property. However once you leave the Northeast Corridor, you are traveling on private property. The other tracks that Amtrak runs their trains on is owned by private entities, so could there be an issue there? It is also a possibility that the train could be traveling over state owned tracks too. Talk about a crazy law issue if something we to go horribly wrong.

I never really thought about it that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast