Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: I go to Front Sight

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    You're just asking for more mannings. More malcontent misfits acting out on their pretend victimhood. More tax dollars spent on medical mutalations and clean ups of active shooter murders.
    You make a fair point.
    It would only work as intended if the Conservative silent majority stayed actively involved and prevented Liberals from crapping up the system.
    If it was compulsory, that would mean the Conservative silent majority would need to send their sons and daughters into the military.
    I would hope this required involvement would ensure their perpetual interest and involvement in the military politics.
    The alternative of civil service could act as a pressure release valve to cull the mentally defective Liberals that are beyond reach and/or dangerous.
    Just something to consider, problematic Liberal issues noted.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    I'm all for reinstating the draft, with no college deferments.
    Lots of moms would be against it.

I'm all for reinstating the draft, with no college deferments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I actually agree with this.
    Compulsory military service or civil service equivalent.
    Liberals could use a dose of reality with regard to their freedom and what it takes to defend it.
    While I definitely understand the sentiment, I would be against it for the same reason I am against the individual mandate in Obamacare...... the government does not own people nor should it regulate what adult citizens have to do with their time or money. I resent the government saying you have to spend money and buy health insurance, and I would resent the government saying you have to serve in the military. Both give the government too much power imo.

(Cambria County)

I like the idea of civil service as a requirement for citizenship, similar to the way Heinlein put it. Back in the day, you had to own property to vote. Some way or another, a person should be invested in the nation if they are going to decide how it operates.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    While I definitely understand the sentiment, I would be against it for the same reason I am against the individual mandate in Obamacare...... the government does not own people nor should it regulate what adult citizens have to do with their time or money. I resent the government saying you have to spend money and buy health insurance, and I would resent the government saying you have to serve in the military. Both give the government too much power imo.
    There should be a price for citizenship, whether by military or civilian service to the country. Two years isn't a lot to ask.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Somebody could take your argument and say that therefore the government shouldn't require people to pay taxes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I like the idea of civil service as a requirement for citizenship, similar to the way Heinlein put it. Back in the day, you had to own property to vote. Some way or another, a person should be invested in the nation if they are going to decide how it operates.
    I agree. As a green card holder, Neither I nor my parents could vote.
    The Army could have drafted me and since we were involved in South East Asia, if I remember, the Marines could possibly have had a part of me too. The AF firearms training was essentially learning to lock and load, no rifle disassembly, malfunction clearance, nothing beyond running 60 rounds downrange in a few positions.
    The Navy and Air Force required that enlistees be citizens.

I went through the process of becoming a citizen, enlisted in the Air Force, volunteered for SEA and a mere 3 years, 6 months and 18 days later, got on with my life.

Back to the training, there has been and likely still is localized training from some pretty good instructors. The FireInstitute had Randy Cain, Giles Stock, Steve Tarani come to name a few. All excellent instructors.
    DTI's John Farnam also runs a great class.
    I believe other local organizations bring top shelf instruction to the area as well.
    All this without spending the addition costs of travel, place to stay, time. Etc etc.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Elk County)

I did my initial training at Parris Island, followed by intensive weapons training at Camp Geiger. I'll wager they're a tad better then Front Sight, or any other Camp Wannabee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy
    Front Sight trains you to standards that exceed that of the military and that exceed that of the police. I would know since I've met police officers and military personnel that take classes at Front Sight. This one fellow who had been a marine for many years took the M-16 class at front sight and said it was more in depth than any training he had in the marines.
    Depends a lot on when. Parris and Geiger of 20, 30, 40 yrs ago is different from that of today. If that Marine is comparing Front Sight to Grass Week and Quals at PI, yeah, no comparison.
    Also it depends on where and what. Spec Ops guys like Force Recon and Raiders eventually get much more involved instruction than 0311s do at Geiger.

Instructors at Front Sight and other training venues often employ ex-Special Forces operators who each bring their own "spins" to the training, so those enhancements will make the training experiences "more" than generic service branch training.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Went last year for a 2 day pistol course. Flew with 1 pistol, 350 rounds of ammo, and assorted accessories in locked plastic ammo cans inside a duffel bag. No issues flying southwest, just had to show the pistol to the ticketing agent when checking my bag to verify it was clear.

Training was good, but I don't like the salesmanship and propaganda that they push during the lunch seminars. I plan to go back this spring to take the 2 day or 4 day course.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345