Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

I got a Cabelas gift card for Christmas. I just got back with one of those Outfitters XL cots, damn this thing is XL!

/offtopic

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    I usually don't buy used guns and just about all of my internet purchases are out of state, so I have to go to a gun shop to pick the guns up and pay a transfer fee to the shop.
    My mistake, I missed the last part of your post where you said;

“even when you do add in the transfer fee that the gun shop will charge you when you go to pick it up.”
    I thought you meant you buy guns via internet without an FFL . I guess I should have read your whole post. Please disregard that post.

(Bucks County)

Tanner's is the most appealing shop I've been to. It's appealing because of the selection, the service, and the internet level pricing. Sometimes I drive by, and I think, "maybe I'll just stop in".

"No, don't do it. You don't have the cash, and there will be at least one thing(probably a few) that the price is so low, you can't say no. Just keep driving."

New RIA 1911 for $360
    New Remington V3 Shadow Grass $430 after rebate
    Used Kimber Solo for $4xx something

It's very hard to walk out empty handed. It's not real pretty from the outside, but it's beautiful inside. Go there at 11 am on a Wednesday (or monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, ) there will be 30 people in there shopping.

(Bucks County)

^^^ This!^^^ Tanner's sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Hey now, don't go knocking Cabela's, they're excellent for doing transfers, they charge only $25 and that's usually how I get guns in this day and age.
    Well, if you don't mind waiting three hours for a transfer, have at it.

Shakey's only charges $25 too. That's where I'd go if I was a southern Skook.

You may not have heard of them, they don't take out full page ads in the Bergen Record.

(York County)

I have never purchased a firearm from any of the big box stores. Once in a while I might buy some ammo when they run a special sale, but that's about it. The employee's attitudes and "company policies" just turn me off. Luckily, I have two LGS that get 99% of my firearms business. About the only time I don't use one of them is when I'm buying a used gun at a show, or something I stumbled across online. One of the shops charges me $20 for a transfer/receiving a gun, and the other charges $25, a fair deal either way. And yes, I know that there are times I've found a slightly better price on a gun online, but if you run the numbers and compare the total price when you factor in shipping, etc. the difference is rarely more than $10-$20. I recently bought a new Ruger MKIV. Comparing the best online deal I could find and buying it from my LGS, I ended up paying less than $5 more. I'll take that any day for the ability to inspect the gun beforehand, and the benefit of supporting a local business that has, in turn, taken good care of me for many years! Any time I hear someone lamenting the passing of a good LGS the first thing I ask is "Where did you make your last firearm purchase?" All too often the response is Buds, Gunbroker, Cabela's, etc. That's when I say "Just look in the mirror for the reason too many good/great LGS are gone."

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Well, if you don't mind waiting three hours for a transfer, have at it.
    You only have to wait 3 hours for a transfer, or some other ridiculously long length of time, if you're doing the transfer during a busy season, such as around Christmas. At least that's my experience with Cabela's.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Locks in Philly has genuine character. Cabellas is fake. Noah gave the answer if indeed there was a question.
    That they do. A little more expensive, but worthwhile.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Schuylkill County)

So I know not too many people here like to buy guns at Cabela's including myself. If you buy guns at Cabela's you will be paying way too much. But, I must say I still do love Cabela's. I like to buy other stuff at Cabela's besides guns. Cabala's is good for buying ammo and for buying camping supplies and survival gear. I got some really great flashlights from Cabela's as well as a smoker and a vacuum sealer. I have not bought any fishing supplies from Cabela's and Im not an authority on fishing. I haven't fished much since boy scouts so I wouldn't know what the good brands are with fishing gear and I wouldn't know what a good price is but their fishing department is very big and they've got what looks like a really good selection. So there is lots of other good stuff besides guns that is good to get at Cabela's.

(Allegheny County)

Cabela's, Bass Pro, Field and Stream and others of that ilk aren't for folks like us. While (sometimes) fun to wander around, I suspect most on this forum are like me: blown away by the prices (and not in the good way). Those stores are for the person that decided that today is the day I buy my gun. They will buy it with the necessary accessories and ammo, shoot it once or twice then into the drawer. We aren't those folks. I am not saying that one can't find a good deal at those stores, may have to kiss a few of frogs first.

My favorite stores come in two varieties:
    1) Small steel frame warehouse type of structure on a concrete slab. I can think of 3 within 50 miles. Reasonably well stocked, some used guns, good prices and friendly staff. One more in the same vein built out of shipping containers and a concrete bunker, seriously fun place to visit (Altra Firearms).
    2) Old building crammed to the gills with all manner of guns and sporting gear. Sometimes smells of bait and old cigarette smoke. There are more than a few around Pittsburgh, mostly friendly staff, sometimes good prices and always interesting.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    Cabela's, Bass Pro, Field and Stream and others of that ilk aren't for folks like us. While (sometimes) fun to wander around, I suspect most on this forum are like me: blown away by the prices (and not in the good way). Those stores are for the person that decided that today is the day I buy my gun. They will buy it with the necessary accessories and ammo, shoot it once or twice then into the drawer. We aren't those folks. I am not saying that one can't find a good deal at those stores, may have to kiss a few of frogs first.
    Cabala's is good for buying other stuff besides guns. Their ammo prices are quite good. And they've got good flashlights and camping supplies.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast