Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    18342074

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    The OP reminded me about my misspent youth. Ray's was a large shop on Route-22 where I was a fill-in range safety officer for a few years. Even with the "employee discount" I found that I could purchase elsewhere at a better price......and Meltzers (in Lodi) was a trip. The owner was a true character. He was constantly talking, laughing and telling jokes.....but you could rarely beat his prices. His favorite saying was "Meltzer, Meltzer, he's your friend. He'll get your money in the end" And he usually did.
    NEVER go to Ray's on a weekend; NY gang bangers were shooting up the place. It was no wonder the owner's kids didn't want to keep it. Was the first place I ever shot a firearm. Meltzer's is where I bought my first gun ever. Was sad to see them close after 107 years.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,374
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Bars that look like dives are usually cheaper to drink at too.
    ^^^THIS

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Port Carbon, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    The OP reminded me about my misspent youth. Ray's was a large shop on Route-22 where I was a fill-in range safety officer for a few years. Even with the "employee discount" I found that I could purchase elsewhere at a better price......and Meltzers (in Lodi) was a trip. The owner was a true character. He was constantly talking, laughing and telling jokes.....but you could rarely beat his prices. His favorite saying was "Meltzer, Meltzer, he's your friend. He'll get your money in the end" And he usually did.
    Meltzers had among the best gun prices but they got you on the ammo. The ammo at Meltzers was expensive. Needless to say, its a shame they shut down. And its a shame Ray's shut down, they were fun places to visit.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Port Carbon, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Meltzer's is where I bought my first gun ever.
    Me too. A Smith & Wesson 686 with a 4 inch barrel, .357 Magnum.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Port Carbon, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Meltzer's is where I bought my first gun ever.
    Me too. A Smith & Wesson 686 with a 4 inch barrel, .357 Magnum.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Quakertown, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    3,203
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by Photon Guy View Post
    Meltzers had among the best gun prices but they got you on the ammo. The ammo at Meltzers was expensive. Needless to say, its a shame they shut down. And its a shame Ray's shut down, they were fun places to visit.
    E.H. Solomon's was the best gun shop in NJ.

    It was a 500 sq ft cinder block square with a vault room in the back.

    Bought my first gun there, a Ruger MKII stainless target for $216.

    Cabela's? Meh.

    Disneyland? Even more Meh.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Port Carbon, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    E.H. Solomon's was the best gun shop in NJ.

    It was a 500 sq ft cinder block square with a vault room in the back.

    Bought my first gun there, a Ruger MKII stainless target for $216.

    Cabela's? Meh.

    Disneyland? Even more Meh.
    Hey now, don't go knocking Cabela's, they're excellent for doing transfers, they charge only $25 and that's usually how I get guns in this day and age.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    401
    Rep Power
    21474842

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    The better looking hookers cost more too.
    I see stupid people, they're everywhere, they don't even know they're stupid

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Columbia County)
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    14232227

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    After buying a gun at Cabelas and a few years ago and asking to handle a gun at Dunhams some time ago, I made a decision not to buy guns at any big box store. The reasons are long waits, goofy people behind the gun counter, too many other customers around that doesn’t promote a good gun buying atmosphere. In addition if you buy a gun at these places you might get being hounded for stupid gun services ( ex. professional annual gun cleaning by the store’s gun smith) and the infamous being escorted out of the store like you stole something after the purchase is made.

    I take my business to local gun shops to avoid all that and if you make friends with the owner you have a better chance of scoring better deals.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Port Carbon, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: More appealing gun shops are more expensive

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    After buying a gun at Cabelas and a few years ago and asking to handle a gun at Dunhams some time ago, I made a decision not to buy guns at any big box store. The reasons are long waits, goofy people behind the gun counter, too many other customers around that doesn’t promote a good gun buying atmosphere. In addition if you buy a gun at these places you might get being hounded for stupid gun services ( ex. professional annual gun cleaning by the store’s gun smith) and the infamous being escorted out of the store like you stole something after the purchase is made.

    I take my business to local gun shops to avoid all that and if you make friends with the owner you have a better chance of scoring better deals.
    I usually don't buy guns at big box stores either, or at any gun shop for that matter. I usually buy guns off the internet from which you can get a better price than in most if not all gun shops, even when you do add in the transfer fee that the gun shop will charge you when you go to pick it up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. why is more expensive better.
    By scottbird39 in forum Pistols
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: April 29th, 2017, 03:32 PM
  2. Why is 22 mag ammo so expensive?
    By 4thdimension in forum General
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2016, 09:21 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM
  4. Anyone else see these expensive ones?
    By Connal in forum Gun Pictures
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops