Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Reloading the .357 Magnum

Thanks for the report, please keep them coming. That Colt is a workhorse.
    Since all my older loads are not in line with modern manuals I took a look over at Hodgdons reloading data page. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com
    For 110/296 they're showing 21.0-22.0 grs for 125 gr xtp, 15-16.7 for a 158 gr xpt. So my old loads are in line but it's not the first time conflicting modern data has caused me to wonder.
    I too have heard the 3% reduction warning with 296 but have no idea where it originated. My 1984 "Winchester Ball Powder Loading Data" from Winchester specifically warns to load exactly as shown. FWIW 1984 data: 125 gr jhp with 18.5 grs and 158 gr jhp with 16.6 grs. Mag primer and heavy crimp required.
    "Failure to follow this procedure could result in poor ignition and/or squib loads under extreme circumstances, particularly in loads were less than 90% of the available powder space is being used."
    Is 3% the limit of low loading density? Dunno.
    Has the powder changed over the years so there's now a little leeway with loads? Also don't know.

Edit: Delkal beat me to it. His manual in the link gives exact same instructions.
    Last edited by cephas; January 13th, 2018 at 08:08 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.