Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Chester County)

Arrow Reloading the .357 Magnum

Reloading the .357 Magnum

The weather was perfect for a range trip yesterday (1/11/2018) so I pulled out the old Colt Trooper MK III (4” barrel with about a 13 lb trigger pull) and eight different loads for two different bullets (four different loads per bullet), all using the same H110 powder, just different powder throw weights.

I would classify the loads as medium-heavy for this caliber and they were taken from Hornady’s Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, p789 (for the 125 gr. Hornady XTP) and p792 (for the 158 gr Speer Jacketed Soft Point). Be sure your revolver can handle this...

FWIW, I loaded these a week earlier in once-fired PMC nickel-plated brass (thanks to “Ceph’s” color-coding suggestion for heavier and light loads) to an OAL of 1.580” with a medium roll crimp of .376”. All were case-gauged and dropped in just fine.

Note the use of the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primers with H110 powder...

Here are the loads that shot the best for me and my revolver over a back-pack rest at 12 yds.:

Bullet: 158gr. Speer Jacketed Soft Point
    Powder: 15.4 gr. H110
    Primer: CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primer
    All five shots: 1.71”
    Best 4 shots: .92”
    Best 3 shots: .35”

Bullet: 125 gr. Hornady XTP
    Powder: 18.4 gr. H110
    Primer: CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum Primer
    All five shots: 1.62”
    Best 4 shots: 1.25”
    Best 3 shots: .46”

None of these loads that were shot during the day resulted in cartridge OAL elongation while in the cylinder (bullet crimp would have been insufficient if this occurred), flattened primers, or resulted in any difficulty in ejecting the cases (both suggesting overly hot loads).

I didn’t have the time to chrony these loads, but I was pleased with not only the relative accuracy for the Colt Trooper MK III (this was never designed to be a “highly-tuned” target revolver), but also the punch these loads provided in exchange for quite tolerable recoil that didn’t appear to be an issue with this heavy revolver.

Since we’re expecting semi-cruddy weather this weekend, I know what caliber I’m reloading….

Hope this information is helpful and do not hesitate to add your load to the PAFOA communal pot.

And just remember, the worst day at the range is better than the best day at work!

Amen….
    Last edited by bamboomaster; January 12th, 2018 at 07:03 PM.
    - bamboomaster