Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Reloading the .357 Magnum

Thanks for the report, please keep them coming. That Colt is a workhorse.
    Since all my older loads are not in line with modern manuals I took a look over at Hodgdons reloading data page. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com
    For 110/296 they're showing 21.0-22.0 grs for 125 gr xtp, 15-16.7 for a 158 gr xpt. So my old loads are in line but it's not the first time conflicting modern data has caused me to wonder.
    I too have heard the 3% reduction warning with 296 but have no idea where it originated. My 1984 "Winchester Ball Powder Loading Data" from Winchester specifically warns to load exactly as shown. FWIW 1984 data: 125 gr jhp with 18.5 grs and 158 gr jhp with 16.6 grs. Mag primer and heavy crimp required.
    "Failure to follow this procedure could result in poor ignition and/or squib loads under extreme circumstances, particularly in loads were less than 90% of the available powder space is being used."
    Is 3% the limit of low loading density? Dunno.
    Has the powder changed over the years so there's now a little leeway with loads? Also don't know.

Edit: Delkal beat me to it. His manual in the link gives exact same instructions.
    Last edited by cephas; January 13th, 2018 at 08:08 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Somewhere I read that you should use loads from manuals and powders of the same time period because of changes in manufacturing. Heck lot to lot differences require working up loads over again.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Somewhere I read that you should use loads from manuals and powders of the same time period because of changes in manufacturing. Heck lot to lot differences require working up loads over again.
    Anything can happen but I think that is a myth. Why would you suddenly change the burning speed of a powder you were making over the last 25-50-75 years. The big reductions in loads came when they changed from CUP to PSI. Lawyers got nervous when they saw the real instantaneous pressures (PSI) vs the inferred pressures (CUP).

All of a sudden loads that were standard for decades were gelded. Then you add in the reloading manuals that group 5-6 different types of bullets and list one "Max" load (Hornady) and back off on any cartridges that one firearms manufacturer produced (at any time) with a tight chamber or shorter throat (7mm Mag).

Today you need to work up and shoot over a Chrony for a reality check. I have loaded some "max" loads (from the new books) for my 7mm Mag that chrony 300-400 fps slower than I was supposed to be getting (with the proper burning rate powder). Loading to the older book loads I get the velocity the round is supposed to be with no pressure signs.

But this load is so many grains over what the latest Hornady book lists today I dare not mention it.
    Last edited by Delkal; January 13th, 2018 at 01:17 AM.

Delkal, Many Thanks. I'll have to make a note in my reloading manuals with the warning.

Rick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12