Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Bass Pro in Harrisburg

Anybody ever bought guns at the Bass Pro in Harrisburg? They look like they've got a decent selection. I did once buy a gun at a Bass Pro but not at the one in Harrisburg, PA and my experience with them was overall positive.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bass Pro in Harrisburg

It's a shithole...

Oh wait, wrong thread...
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lycoming County)

In my experience, they're generally overpriced. They are usually pretty close to MSRP. Last time I looked there, they didn't have anything that I couldn't get from my local guys for less.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    In my experience, they're generally overpriced. They are usually pretty close to MSRP. Last time I looked there, they didn't have anything that I couldn't get from my local guys for less.
    They occasionally have very good prices for both guns and ammo, but only when on sale and you have to know your pricing to be sure (e.g. "on sale" does not necessarily = good price). Paying "regular" price is basically a "no".

I bought my first PA pistol there, but more recently I only typically go there to buy ammo, only on sale, and only calculating the convenience price (e.g. last time I bought, it was a few boxes of blazer brass 9mm at $0.22 per round. I can typically get that for $0.20 per round online, at least in bulk, but for various reasons, picking up a couple boxes 'right now' was advantageous).

If you buy a weapon there, be prepared to settle in for a while. They're not as bad as Cabela's on that count (though with the acquisition that may change). But I still think they 'build in' some time to make you wander around and shop. I've never bought at either Cabela's or Bass Pro without being told that PICS is either "down" or "slow" and "it may take a while" (something I've NEVER heard at any of my LGS).

I literally, a few months ago, went in to buy a Shield .45 from them because they had it on sale at a very good price at the time (~$299 IIRC). Put in my order, filled out the forms, they said "oh, PICS is down we're having to do everything manually". 60 minutes later, I asked them WTF? 30 minutes later I told them 'forget it' and walked out. Went to my LGS which was asking IIRC $399. I offered them $339 for it and done deal in 15 minutes. Wish I'd just gone there in the first place and done that deal without the couple wasted hours.

I buy guns at one of two LGS in my area nowadays. Unlike R L, I find they're typically the same as Cabela/BassPro around here. But I go in and offer them ~10-15% more than the prevailing online price, and they've always taken it. I don't mind paying that 10-ish-% for the 'now' factor and being able to hold/try the gun. I consider it 'fair play' versus I go there to 'try' the gun, then leave and go order it online. Point is one advantage of LGS is negotiating (within reason) versus at Cabela/BassPro, you're paying 'sticker' price in any case...

My 2c. Take it FWIW.
    DGAF

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    If you buy a weapon there, be prepared to settle in for a while. They're not as bad as Cabela's on that count (though with the acquisition that may change). But I still think they 'build in' some time to make you wander around and shop. I've never bought at either Cabela's or Bass Pro without being told that PICS is either "down" or "slow" and "it may take a while" (something I've NEVER heard at any of my LGS).
    I've bought, or have had transferred to me, guns many times at Cabela's. Sometimes it does take a long time but sometimes it doesn't. This one time I went to pick up a handgun at Cabela's, after filling out the paperwork it took less than 10 minutes for me to be called to the back counter to complete the purchase and have it finalized and have the handgun transferred to me. What I have to say about buying a gun in Cabela's is this, its like going to the DMV but more fun because you don't have to sit for hours waiting for your number to be called, you can get up and look around and even go out and do other stuff before you're called.
    I did once buy a gun at Bass Pro although not the one in Hamburg, it was a Bass Pro in Nashville, TN and after filling out the paperwork it took about 20 minutes before the sale and transfer was finalized during which I got to look around the shop so my experience with Bass Pro has been quite good too, although this was the Bass Pro in Nashville not in Harrisburg.

Bought my first pistol ever there. Bad mistake while the process want fine the price compared to local gun shops was absurdly expensive. Live and learn make better choice down the road. Have never bought one from them since.

(Lancaster County)

I bought a pistol there about eight years ago. It seemed silly that an associate held it until walking me out while I had my edc holstered at my side.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lackawanna County)

I bet all you Bass Pro haters don’t have a huge fish tank at your LGS.

I’ll waste time walking around BPS when I’m in town, but I'm more likely to drop coin on an impulse buy across the street at Cycle Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    I bet all you Bass Pro haters don’t have a huge fish tank at your LGS.

I’ll waste time walking around BPS when I’m in town, but I'm more likely to drop coin on an impulse buy across the street at Cycle Gear.
    I do the same but am more likely to drop coin at the Mexican restaurant down the street. The Fajitas Hawaiian is awesome. It comes in half of a grilled pineapple.

(Lebanon County)

Over priced unless on sale but that being said i did but a LCP2 when they were the only ones who even had them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast