Well I have tagged out during the Flintlock season and while I still may help some guys Saturday by walking around being a dog and pushing some deer, my deer season has been over for two weeks...SO now it is time to call in some fox and maybe get a crack at a Coyote.

Wednesday evening I went out along the Swatara Creek and sat in some deer stands and just enjoyed the warmer weather and I decide I would take my super cheap Johnny Steward electronic call and my 17 HMR. First stand I called for about a 1/2 hour and only saw a few deer move off as I got to my stand. Walked up creek about 1/4 mile and sat again and started calling just after sunset.

My Johnny Stewart electric caller has Cottontail, Coyote Pups, Howl, Fawn in Distress and Jack Rabbit calls. I was hitting the cottontail when I saw a big coyote running about 150 yards out, it got to some thick stuff so I figured wait a little and try to call some more. I hit the cottontail, fawn and jack rabbit and nothing. Then just before last light, I decided what do I have to lose and hit the coyote pups call. That big dark dog came running so hard I thought for sure it was going to give me a 20 yard slam dunk. I was behind a tree and the call was about 20 yards to my left. At about 75 yards the dog stopped and sat and looked and looked. I tried a couple of more calls but could not get the dog to commit. I figured I would try a 75 yard shot with the 17 HMR, I know I could make the shot but was not sure about the 17 on a big dog, it is perfect for fox but I would rather have had a 223 against the coyote. As I moved to raise my rifle the yote caught my movement and bolted. This is the first time I have ever called in a coyote while actually hunting for fox and yotes. I have squealed in a coyote while archery hunting deer in the same area and have now taken two with my bow. Sure was fun AND I CAN HUNT THEM ON SUNDAY!!