Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Background Check in "Research"

Hello Guys,

I recently went to buy a new gun and when the store owner called for the background check they told him they would have to get back to him and that my request was in "research". The store owner said all that means is that there might be others with the same name as me and they can't tell me apart from them at the moment. He also said if it was "something bad" I would have been denied on the spot.

This is strange to me for a few reasons. First, I bought a gun about eight months ago with no problem at all - it was over in about 15 minutes. Second, I have a concealed carry permit. Finally, I gave them my social security number. Shouldn't that make it cut and dry who I am?

I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this experience.

Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Background Check in "Research"

I've had it. About 1 in 5 times I get put into research. No rhyme or reason. I once even bought two guns in two days, one in research, one straight through. Wait and see.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBackstrap View Post
    I've had it. About 1 in 5 times I get put into research. No rhyme or reason. I once even bought two guns in two days, one in research, one straight through. Wait and see.
    About how long did it take for them to get back to you and let you buy your gun?

(Centre County)

Most times, for me, it tookthe whole 14 days or whatever. I hear that's pretty unusual but it always takes the full time for me.

(Berks County)

Being put into research is a hassle, but not usually a cause for concern. According to some of the dealers I've spoken with, it usually means:

- There's a backup on the system. Whenever the load gets too extreme, they put EVERYONE into research until the load quiets down. This happens a lot at gun shows and the like.

- There's someone (or more than one) person with your name in the system, typically with recent purchases. In this case, they have do a little extra work to verify your identity.

Be patient, but stay on top of the situation. It's likely you'll just be approved, but if not you'll need to file an appeal on the denial.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; September 22nd, 2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: grammar fix
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Hello Guys,

I recently went to buy a new gun and when the store owner called for the background check they told him they would have to get back to him and that my request was in "research". The store owner said all that means is that there might be others with the same name as me and they can't tell me apart from them at the moment. He also said if it was "something bad" I would have been denied on the spot.

This is strange to me for a few reasons. First, I bought a gun about eight months ago with no problem at all - it was over in about 15 minutes. Second, I have a concealed carry permit. Finally, I gave them my social security number. Shouldn't that make it cut and dry who I am?

I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this experience.

Thanks!
    Answering in order of questions posted.

First, No it does not matter. You could have bought a gun 8 minutes ago and still have been inot research. No real rhyme or reason.

Second, Carry permit has nothing to do with it.

Finally, A social security number is a good thing but not really a catch all,be all. I would suggest a U-Pin. Its a number that is to further distinguish you from anyone else.

Hope that helps.

Dave
    3%

(Allegheny County)

I got sick of waiting and just went out and bought a gun somewhere else with no problem at all today - strange.

Thanks again for all your responses.

(Luzerne County)

I got sick of waiting and just went out and bought a gun somewhere else with no problem at all today - strange.

I didn't know you could do that...
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

yea, research is a pain, i got on because my record was never properly cleared. it was 15 days to the day when i heard back from them, had to send the challenge form to the psp, its really a load of buearocratic red tape bs
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I didn't know you could do that...
    2nd that... how did you accomplish that one? Did a subsequent PICS check at a different dealer pass without putting you into research? Or did you buy in a face-to-face transaction?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast