Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Pennsylvania gun law question

I thought that I was pretty well versed in the ins and outs of federal and state gun laws but I was told that I'm not.

I have a new gun with a defect. So I contacted the manufacturer and the customer service rep told me that since I'm in Pennsylvania, I'd have to go through an FFL at both ends. She claims that the company lawyer told them that they cannot accept guns from individuals in Pennsylvania and cannot ship directly to a person in Pennsylvania. She then gave a short list of state that she can't send to directly.

S&W sent me a gun not too long ago and I'd like to think that S&W knows what's going on.

Did Pennsylvania get any goof gun laws while I wasn't paying attention?

Default Re: Pennsylvania gun law question

you talking pistol or rifle?
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

Quote Originally Posted by GinzoMatic View Post
    you talking pistol or rifle?
    Pistol but it still shouldn't matter. Under the GCA 68, a "non-licensee" can ship to a licensee for any lawful purpose including repair or replacement and the licensee can return the gun or its replacement directly to the owner with the need to go through an FFL.

I'm just wondering if Pa. put some strange laws into effect.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy101 View Post
    I thought that I was pretty well versed in the ins and outs of federal and state gun laws but I was told that I'm not.

I have a new gun with a defect. So I contacted the manufacturer and the customer service rep told me that since I'm in Pennsylvania, I'd have to go through an FFL at both ends. She claims that the company lawyer told them that they cannot accept guns from individuals in Pennsylvania and cannot ship directly to a person in Pennsylvania. She then gave a short list of state that she can't send to directly.

S&W sent me a gun not too long ago and I'd like to think that S&W knows what's going on.

Did Pennsylvania get any goof gun laws while I wasn't paying attention?
    I would call back and see if I get a different representative to see if they say the same thing. It has been known to make a difference. If they won't do it otherwise, it must be a new rule imposed by the company, as I do not know of any new laws on this, but of course they make changes all the time, and that is why this forum is so useful as we have some dogs who sniff out these changes as soon as they are proposed, much less passed.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Now that I think of it, you're mailing it to S&W in MA?

If that's the case, that's the issue. Its not PA laws, its MA. Yes the federal law exists but some states restrict it further and MA is one of them from what I understand.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree this may be a MASS problem. I just visited my family there for the holidays, someone found an old ammo box of mine with a magpul CTR stock and a Magpul foregrip. I took a train home so I wasn't about to carry ammo box. I took the box and tried to ship it to myself at UPS and they told me I had to go to an FFL to send it. Yup.......pieces of plastic and they wouldn't touch it. I checked UPS shipping guidelines and they were open about how they follow different rules in MASS.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy101 View Post
    She claims that the company lawyer told them that they cannot accept guns from individuals in Pennsylvania and cannot ship directly to a person in Pennsylvania.
    They can have whatever policy they want - doesn't mean it is based in law.

According to the LAW, You can ship back to manufacturer and receive from manufacturer, with no middle man. Hell, S&W sent me a prepaid FedEx label to use when shipping it to them.

If you're dealing with S&W, tell them you want a prepaid FedEx label. Hell, no matter who you're dealing with, tell them you want a prepaid FedEx label (:

Quote Originally Posted by GinzoMatic View Post
    Yes the federal law exists but some states restrict it further and MA is one of them from what I understand.
    Interstate commerce is the bailiwick of the Federal Government under COTUS. MA can go fuck itself on this matter.
    Last edited by free; January 9th, 2018 at 12:47 PM.

(Berks County)

I sent my SR9 to Ruger for repairs last summer. Contacted them, they gave me a shipping label, I just boxed it up, took it to FedEx and off it went. But when it was sent back, it had to either be signed for by someone 21+ (only my wife and I so not a problem) or, in my case, the FedEx guy came 30-45 minutes after I left for work three days in a row. So I had to go to FedEx and pick it up, while still showing my ID.

No FFL needed whatsoever.

No, it's not going to S&W in Mass, I said that I had sent to S&W without a problem. This manufacturer is in Maryland,

(Berks County)

Ive sent guns out to the manufacturer, refinishing, armorers for upgrades etc a half dozen times now. The USPS will not ship guns unless your an FFL. You can ship through FedEx but they want you to ship overnight or 2 day delivery (expensive as hell), cost me like $150 the last two times. I believe UPS ships guns too but I am unfamilar with there rules. All of the times wherever I sent it, it was shipped back directly to my home

Which manufacturer is telling you this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast