Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania gun law question

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    This is correct a consignment gun actually becomes the property of the FFL and if it is not sold and the owner wants it back, they have to do the 4473 and pass the BGC (federal regs). Another thing about a consignment, the FFL has to collect PA sales tax when it's sold, because it's not a private FTF transaction.
    I told the shop what I wanted for it, if they could get more it was theirs, I got what I was asking from the shop so I guess they made something because I didn't have anything deducted.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Did the LGS call PICS to release it, or were they just a landing pad?

When I sent my gun for Cerakote I sent it out overnight from Kinkos, with the business FFL in hand. I had it returned to my name at my employer's address (where the receptionist signed for it) because there was nobody at home to sign.
    They were just the landing pad. I was actually expecting I might have to pass PICS to get my gun back (and was willing to pay/go through it just for the convenience), but apparently it never officially went on their book. Not that an FFL would do anything illegal or illicit for me, but I am on a first name basis with my LGS...after all, my purchases from him have probably paid for a few of his mortgage payments. It cost him nothing since I gave him the FedEx code, and it made one of his frequent customers happy. Service is what makes an LGS 100x better than a big box store or the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Yeah. Or, you can simply have your package held at a FedEx terminal for pickup at your convenience, which is what I do.
    Yes, one could pick up the package from the FedEx terminal. In my case, I...1) trust my LGS to not lose my "package" more so than I do FedEx terminal employees. I've had issues with my FedEx terminal before with non-firearm packages, and 2) my LGS is just slightly farther from my house than is the FedEx terminal, and it is more convenient for my travels as it is essentially on the way to where I work.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Yes, one could pick up the package from the FedEx terminal. In my case, I...1) trust my LGS to not lose my "package" more so than I do FedEx terminal employees. I've had issues with my FedEx terminal before with non-firearm packages, and 2) my LGS is just slightly farther from my house than is the FedEx terminal, and it is more convenient for my travels as it is essentially on the way to where I work.
    That's all fine and dandy - none of which rebuts my response to your comments I responded to, which were:

While I could send and receive a firearm at home, I don’t. With my job and the lack of a specific delivery time, it’s a pain in the ass (if not impossible) to be home for the period of time when the package is “scheduled” to be delivered. Very convenient...and I didn’t waste a day waiting around for the FedEx truck to arrive.
    In other words - nothing you said in the quote above is a reason not to have it sent via FedEx. You may have other, perfectly valid reasons - but the reasons listed in that quote don't cut the mustard.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I told the shop what I wanted for it, if they could get more it was theirs, I got what I was asking from the shop so I guess they made something because I didn't have anything deducted.
    Very possible that they actually bought it figuring they could get more profit from it than just the consignment fee (typically 15% to 20% of the selling price).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    That's all fine and dandy - none of which rebuts my response to your comments I responded to, which were:

In other words - nothing you said in the quote above is a reason not to have it sent via FedEx. You may have other, perfectly valid reasons - but the reasons listed in that quote don't cut the mustard.
    My issue is not with sending it FedEx. My issues are with 1) waiting on delivery to my house by FedEx, and 2) FedEx is good at delivering packages (except for knowing the specific time of arrival) but not necessarily (in my experience) good at pulling an package from the normal delivery chain. What I have experienced as problematic is having them break their normal cycle of pulling a package and holding it at their terminal for pick up. Unlike vintage Burger King, special orders seem to upset them. My "signature required" package was put on a truck to get my signature (twice) when my direction was for them to keep it at the terminal. I was at the terminal and not at home to sign for the package. When I was at the terminal to get the package, it was on a truck being delivered to my home.

If you cut your mustard by going to your local FedEx terminal for package pick up, so be it. For me, I find my local terminal inept when it comes to the special order of holding a package at the terminal for pick up rather than sending it out on a truck for delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Your question has been answered in several of the posts folks mentioned being shipped back to their home, that what you're being told is a company policy, a policy you really have no say over and have to deal with.
    That's not what I'm being told. If it was a company policy, you'd think that it would be the same for all fifty states. But they told me that Pennsylvania was one a few states where they had to ship it back to an FFL. All the other states they could ship it back to the owner. Since Pa. has some of the friendliest gun laws around, especially in the east, the claim that this is the "law" surprised me.

About 5 years ago I bought a new out of box cheap derringer. Cant remember the maker I sold it so it needed sent back as the chamber was not machined out. Belding Mull were I bought it sent it back for free and it came back to them two weeks later same gun made me do a new form and background check no charge so I never questioned it.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy101 View Post
    That's not what I'm being told. If it was a company policy, you'd think that it would be the same for all fifty states. But they told me that Pennsylvania was one a few states where they had to ship it back to an FFL. All the other states they could ship it back to the owner. Since Pa. has some of the friendliest gun laws around, especially in the east, the claim that this is the "law" surprised me.
    Not a PA law.

As far as shipping and receiving by FedEx, the package can be delivered after 5 pm, with a fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345