Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default M&P 2.0 9MM No Thumb Safety

Greetings
    I bought one of these, and didn't notice until I got home that I got the no thumb safety model. I work in IT. It's not practical for me to open carry it. I won't carry a firearm that's not ready to fire and I'm safety concerned about carrying this firearm with one in the chamber because it has no thumb safety. My other pistols all have the thumb safety and it was just a mistake on my part to buy it. My friendly neighborhood dealer won't do a return / exchange even though it's NIB. You can't retrofit it, I asked S&W already.
    They said it would change the serial number SKU arrangement and they don't do that. The dealer who sold it to me gave me a story about new guns being like new cars. What's the cheapest way out of this mess? I would like to end up with a NIB 9mm m&p 2.0 pro 17+1 with two mags. Mine has never been fired. Please spare me the hindsight advice. I have learned my lesson. I know this is all my fault.

Thanks in advance
    Bruce

Default Re: M&P 2.0 9MM No Thumb Safety

It sounds like your looking for a trade so it would be better to post this in the classified fourm.

(Lehigh County)

Is there any chance you, or your lgs knows of someone who is looking for one, that you can sell to at a mimimal loss?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

IMHO, I don't think safeties make guns safe. Training and good habits do. For what you're going to lose by selling it, you could take a good pistol class and get more comfortable with the gun.

Other than that, I don't think there's an easy way around it. Put it in the classifieds here, on Armslist, and/or Gunbroker, and then take your $150 or so lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Is there any chance you, or your lgs knows of someone who is looking for one, that you can sell to at a mimimal loss?
    That's a good idea. There are several around I could ask. In the meantime I can get what I want for $339. I paid $519 for mine. If I can't get what I want for it I guess I can keep it as a range gun.
    Thanks
    Bruce

You say you won't carry a gun that's not ready to fire and yet you want a safety. I think those are a contradiction. A proper holster is all the safety you need. Why not train with this gun and see if it is actually a problem?

If not, I'll give you $100 to take the unsafe gun off your hands.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Blair County)

I was under the impression they were able to be changed. I know they will send you the little hole plug to remove your safety if you dont want it. Are there plugs that slide out of your frame or is it molded solid? You can buy the complete sear asm w/safety online for less the 40$. Im assuming if they said it cant be done its because the frame is solid in that area.....
    FWIW I only carry guns with no manual safety. I dont play with my guns. If I draw it Im more then likely going to shoot it.

(Delaware County)

I carry a 1911 - and only a 1911 - all day every day. It has a thumb safety. Sweeping the safety off is part of my draw stroke, to the point that the safety is off before the barrel is level with the ground. The existence of the thumb safety does NOT mean the gun is not ready to fire, it only means I am less likely to shoot myself in the leg. That said...

Though I don't carry (or own) any striker or DAO guns, it is my understanding that the only way to make them fire is to pull the trigger. Except during holstering - when clothing can enter the trigger guard - the only thing that can pull the trigger is your finger. So keeping your booger hook off the bang switch *should* be all the safety you need.

My 2¢

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    IMHO, I don't think safeties make guns safe. Training and good habits do. For what you're going to lose by selling it, you could take a good pistol class and get more comfortable with the gun.

Other than that, I don't think there's an easy way around it. Put it in the classifieds here, on Armslist, and/or Gunbroker, and then take your $150 or so lumps.
    This is probably what I'm going to do. I agree with you 100%, it's the training and the good habits. Every time I pull the M&P my thumb goes for the safety. Every time. It's disconcerting (and distracting, and thereby dangerous). More so, my 380 and my 45 have thumb safeties. I guess I'm just a one-track mind. I don't want to have to think about it. It should be the same as my other guns.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    You say you won't carry a gun that's not ready to fire and yet you want a safety. I think those are a contradiction. A proper holster is all the safety you need. Why not train with this gun and see if it is actually a problem?

If not, I'll give you $100 to take the unsafe gun off your hands.
    Agreed. I can't wear a holster to work. A proper holster would make it safe. Yes, my other guns have safeties, but when they come out they are most definitely ready to fire.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Bruce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast