Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: M&P 2.0 9MM No Thumb Safety

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    I was under the impression they were able to be changed. I know they will send you the little hole plug to remove your safety if you dont want it. Are there plugs that slide out of your frame or is it molded solid? You can buy the complete sear asm w/safety online for less the 40$. Im assuming if they said it cant be done its because the frame is solid in that area.....
    FWIW I only carry guns with no manual safety. I dont play with my guns. If I draw it Im more then likely going to shoot it.
    I haven't stripped the gun, so I'm not 100% positive, but I think the cutouts for the safety are missing in this model. S&W said they wouldn't do it because then the frame wouldn't match the serial number (if they cut out the frame for the safety).

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I carry a 1911 - and only a 1911 - all day every day. It has a thumb safety. Sweeping the safety off is part of my draw stroke, to the point that the safety is off before the barrel is level with the ground. The existence of the thumb safety does NOT mean the gun is not ready to fire, it only means I am less likely to shoot myself in the leg. That said...

Though I don't carry (or own) any striker or DAO guns, it is my understanding that the only way to make them fire is to pull the trigger. Except during holstering - when clothing can enter the trigger guard - the only thing that can pull the trigger is your finger. So keeping your booger hook off the bang switch *should* be all the safety you need.

My 2¢
    I agree with you and am the same way. When I draw my 45 the safety is off as soon as it leaves the concealment - and my thumb stays on that lever. My real problem, I guess, is up there between the two asterisks. I'm not willing to make that leap of faith for my family, my friends, or myself.
    Thanks for your comment!
    Bruce

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bwdavis59 View Post
    This is probably what I'm going to do. I agree with you 100%, it's the training and the good habits. Every time I pull the M&P my thumb goes for the safety. Every time. It's disconcerting (and distracting, and thereby dangerous). More so, my 380 and my 45 have thumb safeties. I guess I'm just a one-track mind. I don't want to have to think about it. It should be the same as my other guns.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Bruce

I'm right there with you on the "consistency" thing, but I'm the opposite - all my guns (for carry) have been DAO with no safety - draw and shoot - no thinking, no practice flicking off a safety - it's ready immediately with no additional step.

I bought a Shield WITH a safety because the one without was out of stock.
    I'm probably going to carry it with the safety OFF to avoid the potentially fatal mistake of pressing the trigger only to realize I have forgotten to flick the safety off.

It's the same gun otherwise, so nothing changes - the trigger pull is the same - everything is the same. If it were dangerous to carry with the safety off, they wouldn't have made a version without a safety - same as any other handgun without a safety.

My situation is simple though - nothing new to learn.
    Only you can determine if "looking for" the safety is a valid concern. I can see how it could be a potential issue. Not that the gun isn't safe, but simply because it's a different "manual of arms".

Boy do I feel dumb. I Field Stripped the weapon tonight and had forgotten about the polymer Construction. On either side of the frame there are two plugs, or knockouts, that look like they just pop out. I have not tried this yet but that is sure what it looks like to me. I'm so sorry that I piped up before I checked this out. What a crock of worry over nothing! I'll just order the parts for the safety and install it myself. Thanks so much for all the comments.

Best regards,

Bruce
    It's Misour-ee, Not Missour-ah

(Allegheny County)

Edit: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Thought you were talking about a Shield.
    I went and looked at mine and there's no way a plug/knockout is possible - then I realized "wrong gun". Ooops.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bwdavis59 View Post
    Boy do I feel dumb. I Field Stripped the weapon tonight and had forgotten about the polymer Construction. On either side of the frame there are two plugs, or knockouts, that look like they just pop out. I have not tried this yet but that is sure what it looks like to me. I'm so sorry that I piped up before I checked this out. What a crock of worry over nothing! I'll just order the parts for the safety and install it myself. Thanks so much for all the comments.

Best regards,

Bruce
    It's Misour-ee, Not Missour-ah
    Great news, hope it's as simple as that for you! If so please advise: I have a Shield .45 with safety that I'm kinda regretting myself.

PS - now we gotta talk about your sig: I presume you are, like me, a native Missourian (which IMHO is pronounced "Muzzeran") because otherwise you'd clearly have no basis to make that statement.

But if so, a couple questions: Do you pronounce the large road running through the middle of your town - Gravois - as "Grav-wah" rather than "Grav-oy" (or even "Grav-oys")? Is the Meramec river running next to it the "Mera-meck" or the "Mera-mack?" Is that big road on which Rte 66 runs from downtown out to the west end - Chouteau - pronounced "Shoe-teau?" or "Show-toe?" Is the nearby town of Creve Couer called "Crehv Coo-wer" or "Creeve Core?" While we're at it, have you driven on "Olive Street Road?" (What's up with that?)

For myself and everyone I know from Missouri, it was, is and remains "Mu-zer-uh"... SPELLED Missouri, pronounced "Mu-zer-uh"...

But I'm willing to reconsider. I will partner with you in reforming all Missourian mispronunciation. We can work on "Missour-ee" along with "Gravois" and the rest. I'm even willing to stop folks from worshing their dishes in the kinchen with soap they bought at the groshery store with a kyoopon, plus a qwarter from the pocket of their sharts. We can them move on to eradicate "Bahstan" and "New Youwk"... Along with "Leb'nin" PA (where we can also explain their beef sausage is delicious, but not "bologna"...). I'm even willing to make those obnoxious Californians say "El Pueblo de nuestra senora la reina los angeles" instead of "El Ay, dude!"...

I will do that IF you first get those folks due south of us to say "arkansaS" instead of "arkinsaw"... Special consideration if you produce folks from Louisiana who don't say "Loozeyana" and "Narlins".

Bonus trivia question: Which state borders more states than any other, and why are all the trees there absolutely vertical?

I will agree that the weather in Missouri from about June-September merits the name "misery" though. Major reason I done left.
    Last edited by KCJones; January 10th, 2018 at 09:32 PM.
    DGAF

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Special consideration if you produce folks from Louisiana who don't say "Loozeyana" and "Narlins".
    It's Nawliins, not Narlins. I got kinfolk down there. Of course they live out in the Saints, not the city.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    It's Nawliins, not Narlins. I got kinfolk down there. Of course they live out in the Saints, not the city.
    My apologies for my rough approximation, and thanks for the correction. I'd never presume to tell the natives how to pronounce their home...
    DGAF

(Lebanon County)

Another point. There is no Leb'nin. IF you are from there it's Lepnun and that is where real balogna comes from. That overgrown hot dog meat from Oscar Meyer is NOT balogna.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm right there with you on the "consistency" thing, but I'm the opposite - all my guns (for carry) have been DAO with no safety - draw and shoot - no thinking, no practice flicking off a safety - it's ready immediately with no additional step.

I bought a Shield WITH a safety because the one without was out of stock.
    I'm probably going to carry it with the safety OFF to avoid the potentially fatal mistake of pressing the trigger only to realize I have forgotten to flick the safety off.

It's the same gun otherwise, so nothing changes - the trigger pull is the same - everything is the same. If it were dangerous to carry with the safety off, they wouldn't have made a version without a safety - same as any other handgun without a safety.

My situation is simple though - nothing new to learn.
    Only you can determine if "looking for" the safety is a valid concern. I can see how it could be a potential issue. Not that the gun isn't safe, but simply because it's a different "manual of arms".
    And what happens if when you need to use that Shield to save your life; but somehow the safety became engaged ??
    --ET

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast