Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bond Arms

Default Re: Bond Arms

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Apparently they solved some of the reliability issues, the esoteric lube issue, but the bullet separation issue with poorly crimped rounds still stands, as it's not a QC item under their control. Really it's not that big a deal if you stick with SKUs that don't have the problem, of which there are plenty that aren't stupid expensive. Federal's AE9AP, AE9FP, AE9DP SKUs are on that list, and those were had for cheap recently (with rebate.)
    Agreed that they can't control the QC of another vendor's ammo. Bond makes good guns and I'm sure they've done all they can with the Bullpup to make it as reliable as possible. The problem is, you don't know when you might get a batch of ammo from one of the trusted vendors that may not be crimped quite right. Shit happens. In a normal semi-auto pistol that's not a big deal, but with the unique action of the Bond/Boberg pulling a round out of the magazine, a bullet separation could render the gun inoperable. That's a big risk to take for a carry gun. I have a NAA mini revolver in .22 mag. It's a fun little gun to shoot and it fits in the coin pocket of my jeans quite nicely. However, given the unreliable nature of rimfire ammo, I won't carry it as my only gun.

Default Re: Bond Arms

I share your concerns, but I don't think to the degree you do. I guess I place more faith in Federal Premium to QC their rounds more so than their plinking ammo lines. Perhaps someone could come up with some kind of testing tool to see if the crimp is strong enough; either like a bullet puller with a calibrated force, or something that squeezes the bullet to see if the round moves, also with a calibrated force.

What I'm curious to understand is, how can a round separate under traction (pulling backwards at the rim,) but not have setback issues when chambered normally. I would think the impact of the round into the feed ramp on a normal firearm would also cause issues with rounds that fly apart when yanked hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12