Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Pistol Red DOT's WHAT is the best MOA?

It's been over two years since I have purchased anything significant related to firearms so I am do and have been considering giving a pistol RMR type sight a try. I see they are offered mostly in 1, 3, 6, and a few offer 8 MOA depending on the brands and some brands offer multiple options. I would think that 1 is too small and 8 might be too large so the question is 3 or 6 which would be optimal for plates between 3" and 8" out to lets day 30-35 yards?

I plan on using this for steel challenge matches this Summer and fall if my health will start to cooperate a little better.

Default Re: Pistol Red DOT's WHAT is the best MOA?

Honestly I think your going to have to go to a shop and look at them to figure which works best for you.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Pistol Red DOT's WHAT is the best MOA?

I have been using rmr type optics on handguns for about 3 years now, here is what i have learned:

Bigger is better, no batteries is even better. I have four Trijicon RMRs, two 12.9 moa green triangle sights (dual illuminated), two 3.25 moa led rmrs and a Burris fast fire 3 8 moa dot. My favorites are the 12.9 moa green triangle RMRs from Trijicon. They are bright and easy to pick up when outdoors and there is no battery or electronics in them. They are tough and reliable. I have one mounted on a PC M&P and one mouted on my three gun AR. I have one of the 3.25 moa rmrs on another AR and the ff3 is on a m&p9l core.

There is a downside to the dual iluminated rmr, being in a shaded area and aiming at an area with more light. The triangle is almost entirely washed out in that specific circumstance. However, back up irons solve that quite handily.

The real utility of a handgun mounted optic like an rmr is that you can keep your focus on the target and overlay the reticle onto it. It is much faster and more natural for people. Go to a club match with pistols (not idpa) and someone will have one, chat that person up and perhaps shoot it to try it out.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!